Deep Sea Professional Rimless

Intheflesh

Non-member
Over the last week or so, I have been thinking about the Deep Sea Professional frag tanks to set up down in the basement. After looking through countless build threads, I pulled the trigger and ordered an 80 gallon (48x24x16H) @ Jays. Should be picking it up tomorrow. All of the recent threads seem to show nothing but praise for these tanks. Exceptional quality for the price, etc. (with the exception of the bulkheads. These are brittle and should be replaced with a better quality piece. No bid deal here)

Doing a little more research, I found a bunch of "failure" threads about Deep Sea tanks, and how they are low quality and you get what you pay for. But all of these threads seem to be circa 2012. I'm wondering did something happen in the last few years and quality went up? Hmmmm

I would like to hear others opinions of the brand.

I'll probably document the build here, but it's not going to be a 'pretty' build.... simple and functional since it is going in the basement.

Last edited:
IIRC most of the problem issues I heard about a few yrs ago involved seams that were obviously bad based on visual inspection. I do recall hearing about a bunch of issues, and then nothing for a few yrs so you may be right about it being a temporary problem that has been fixed.

Digging deeper yet, it looks like there was a bad batch of tanks from 2011. QA stepped up their inspections. Tanks with a batch number should be okay.

Going after work to pick up the wood for the build. Should be picking up tank tomorrow, and hopefully have the basic stand built. I have a "style" stand that I have been building recently that goes together rather quickly. stay tuned for pics!

yes deep blue professional... thats what I meant.

S_kelley... do you know the actual dimensions of the bottom trim? I'm planning on building a simple plywood stand, and was wondering if 2x4 sheets will work, or if the dimensions are a little bigger than advertised.

So right now I have a 36x18" tank. "oh, a 2x4' wont be much bigger." Well, I was wrong.

camera-p_zpsuuuvpd7v.jpg

20151002_064800_zpsfmmmwe2u.jpg

First impressions: Sloppy silicone job, will need to go over it with a razor. Nice beveled edges. Seems like its built like a tank (no pun intended). The overflow is sort of intrusive on the eye. I wanted to buy a non-reef ready one, but its not available rimless. The overflow has an adjustable weir with set screws to adjust the water level in the tank, which is pretty nice.

Also, I started working on the stand. i ran out of pocket screws at 10:30 last night so production halted.

20151002_064822_zpsbwe8fvcp.jpg

If you don't have a slip nut wrench to use HD has them for around $12-. I bought it, used it to tighten the bulkhead down then returned the tool. If interested~>

I also bought one of these to replace our two nano tanks in Boston, before we moved out West. Looked great to me, sad I never got to set it up.

So last time I left you, I had a top and base.

I am using 1x6 for the legs, but I don't have a miter saw to make good cuts. i tried cross cutting a 6' long stick on my table saw with no luck. The legs were all crooked. Boo.

Some quick thinking and I made this jig below, and just used a rotary saw. I cut one end so it was square, turn the plank around, then cut it again, this time with a spacer, and now I have 2 nice square ends on both sides and I am able to cut the same length consistently:

20151003_135330_zps6cfsizew.jpg

An hour later, I am here:

FB_IMG_1443903515468_zps3fsepdna.jpg

tah-dah!

Since this is just a basement tank, I will not be painting, staining, or 'finishing' the stand with any fancy wood work. I siliconed the floor, and will seal the whole thing with poly tomorrow.

you definitely have some good carpenter skills. next time i build another stand, I sure will ask you for help :)

you guys are too nice!

i have nothing on our friend Jim Tansey's build. this isn't furniture quality by any means, but it's perfect for what i need. I haven't built custom stands for people, I'm not really at that level.

now lets talk pumps. will i be good with 2 x rw-8? this is going to be bare bottom and i want FLOW

Last edited:
Back