Seahorse Babies

Duds

Formerly Known as SrDudley25
BRS Member
Thought I’d share pics of our new arrivals this morning. I missed him giving birth but very cool and excited to give raising the fry a go.

IMG_7916.jpeg

IMG_7917.jpeg

IMG_7918.jpeg

IMG_7919.jpeg

IMG_7920.jpeg

IMG_7921.jpeg

Cool!! What do you feed them now?
Baby brine shrimp and keep a constant supply in the tank for them to always be able to feed on. And it has to be newly hatched bbs as they still have their yolk sacks still which is the most nutritious part of them. They have a 0.5% survival rate in the wild

that is so cool! my wife aways said she wants sea horses at some point. how hard is it to keep them?
That’s why I have them haha. They aren’t hard at all for us they have a semi dedicated tank it’s a 60 gallon cube they are hippocampus errectus seahorses. They are the hardier of the types of seahorses and the bigger most common ones. They get frozen mysis two times a day, flow is more gentle but doesn’t have to be absent. My gonioporas alveoporas and gorgonians still move a bit in the current. The seahorses just know where the higher flow areas are to avoid. There are quite a wide variety of corals that can be kept with errectus seahorses mainly the big stinging ones are the ones that cannot be so can still be a reef tank. Temp I keep at 72 I believe the range is 68-74 on them other than that off the top of my head nothing else too special remember they hitch on just about everything so do what you can to keep them safe.

Nice! Full tank shot? Do you need a chiller to make 72F work? My kids are immediately saying we need seahorse tank after seeing these photos lol

Nice! Full tank shot? Do you need a chiller to make 72F work? My kids are immediately saying we need seahorse tank after seeing these photos lol
My house has spray foam insulation in the attic so I went for a vented whole home heat pump. My house doesn’t go above 70-72 I have not had an issue maintaining the low temp(knock on wood).

That’s why I have them haha. They aren’t hard at all for us they have a semi dedicated tank it’s a 60 gallon cube they are hippocampus errectus seahorses. They are the hardier of the types of seahorses and the bigger most common ones. They get frozen mysis two times a day, flow is more gentle but doesn’t have to be absent. My gonioporas alveoporas and gorgonians still move a bit in the current. The seahorses just know where the higher flow areas are to avoid. There are quite a wide variety of corals that can be kept with errectus seahorses mainly the big stinging ones are the ones that cannot be so can still be a reef tank. Temp I keep at 72 I believe the range is 68-74 on them other than that off the top of my head nothing else too special remember they hitch on just about everything so do what you can to keep them safe.
lol hey if it makes them ok with the hobby its worth it! thanks for the info and if you need to rehome some of these at some point let me know

From my experience try to prevent them from breaching the water even a tiny bit, I felt as though them gulping in air from the surface would mess them up and then they would die shortly thereafter.

From my experience try to prevent them from breaching the water even a tiny bit, I felt as though them gulping in air from the surface would mess them up and then they would die shortly thereafter.
Any tricks on how to do that? They seem to love the surface.

Back