Need light bulb advice

rad1687

Non-member
Hey guys, I have a 36" odyssea fixture and its about time to replace the bulbs. I need recommendations for a dual ended 250 bulb and a pc actinic bulb. Thanks in advance!

-Rad;)

What type of ballast are you running? I've heard/seen good things about XM 10K's running on magnetic ballasts.

I'm in the market for 250w HQI 10k's as well so I'm tagging along :)

I am currently running 2-250w 10K phoenix HQI's and IMO they are a very crisp white(I don't like the yellow-ish hue either) I've seen a few others but don't remember the brands-they were wither too yellow or blue-ish for me. But I am running VHO's and not PC's-but that really doesn't matter once the MH kick on.....you are more than welcome to stop by anytime to take a look(I had the same question and concerns when I switched from SE as I had never really paid much interest into the DE or thought there was much difference, luckinly quite a few members were kind enough to let me come over and see their lights beofre I purchased:)

pillowfish afaik pheonix makes 14K bulbs only.......depending on the ballast they can look like 10k or as blue as 20k........

Expensive yes but I would recommend Geismann Megachrome Coral. Phoenix, slow growth and I tried Iwaski, XM, AB and Ushio.

pillowfish afaik pheonix makes 14K bulbs only.......depending on the ballast they can look like 10k or as blue as 20k........

Ok....then I have a question/problem- the 250w 10K MH HQI's I bought-the box and paper inside say Phoenix "HEXARC" but both bulbs are stamped as
10k...I have run the bulbs off an Acuvue(sp?) ballast and now am running them off Icecap ballasts. So how is that possible-and how do I find out who actually made the bulbs I am currently running(I really like the color):confused:

Interesting stamp, I believe there are "pheonix" bulbs which only sell in hqi 150and 250w models in 14k, then IIRC there are some knockoff pheonix lamps (japan made I think) I'm guessing thats what you received. ON icecap ballasts real pheonix's would look 20k, ask mikeg. I'll google it for you.

Just out of curiosity does the box say <PEC> on it? My search for a 10k bulb turned up zilch, my search for the companies site turned up a dead link :(

Interesting stamp, I believe there are "pheonix" bulbs which only sell in hqi 150and 250w models in 14k, then IIRC there are some knockoff pheonix lamps (japan made I think) I'm guessing thats what you received. ON icecap ballasts real pheonix's would look 20k, ask mikeg. I'll google it for you.

i believe phoenix does make a 10k bulb.

FWIW phoenix are made in Japan/china anyway.

And phoenix is the knock off version of the aquaconnect bulb

Last edited:
Ok....then I have a question/problem- the 250w 10K MH HQI's I bought-the box and paper inside say Phoenix "HEXARC" but both bulbs are stamped as
10k...I have run the bulbs off an Acuvue(sp?) ballast and now am running them off Icecap ballasts. So how is that possible-and how do I find out who actually made the bulbs I am currently running(I really like the color):confused:

where did you buy the light from?

Back