need advice on raising a light!!!!!

G.T

Salt Alien
Question I have a new light on order for my tank. Its a metal halide, but it only comes with the little 3.5" plastic legs. I want it to be at least 10" off the water. suspending it is not an option. Any constructive idea's?

I have seen people use 1/2" EMT and bend a 90degree angle.
The lower half attaches to the tank stand.
The upper half you drill holes through and use any universal hanging kit.
If weight is of concern use 1/2" Rigid EMT, both readily available at Home Depot/Lowes including bender. If you do not feel comfortable using a bender you can by open ended set screw 90's. Just spray paint it all black and call it "custom" :)

You can also do a canopy if you like the look and place the fixture on top of it.
I hate the look of canopy but love the fact that I can sit in front of the tank without the light getting into my eyes and when kids come over, I don't have to worry.

I have a canopy from R&J Aquatics. It is called the Xtreme and is a 15 inch canopy. I suspended lights on a bridge with brackets inside canopy top (just 2x4 with brackets I made). I can adjust lights on suspension cables inside the canopy. I call easily pull out bridge of lights to change bulbs. If you want you could also mount lights on the canopy lid, but then you could not adjust the height of the lights over the tank.

I had a couple braces made from aluminum for my 210 they were milled out of a solid piece , maybe you could do something similar , probably have to be a 3 piece set that you can bolt together not sure what it cost cause I had a friend do it

I have a canopy from R&J Aquatics. It is called the Xtreme and is a 15 inch canopy. I suspended lights on a bridge with brackets inside canopy top (just 2x4 with brackets I made). I can adjust lights on suspension cables inside the canopy. I call easily pull out bridge of lights to change bulbs. If you want you could also mount lights on the canopy lid, but then you could not adjust the height of the lights over the tank.
I have looked for a ready available canopy, for the size of tank. I failed on locating one.

Back