Search results

1. tank o tang

Meetings

If meetings are small in number maybe at people's house like a tank tour type of meeting leaving it up to the host how many people can attend and do it on a reserve your spot type of thing. This is an easy way to have smaller meetings between the bigger ones and be able to have them at greater...
  2. tank o tang

How long have you been a member of BRS, and how long have you kept reef tanks?

Joined last year at ffm and have been keeping reef tanks since 2000 with a break in between due to moving. Started with a standard 180 with a prism hob filter that the lfs said would handle 500gal heavy bio load no problem. Lol Fortunately shortly after his shop closed and I found a quality lfs.
  3. tank o tang

Lots o nice stuff

Beautiful eye candy
  4. tank o tang

Alk issue

+++ on water changes and maybe take a sample of your water to your local lfs to test for you.
  5. tank o tang

My 180gal adventure

Thanks, in past tanks I always tried building caves with big rocks on the bottom but this time used med rocks to stack the supports and saved the longer bigger rocks for the top. Only issue is when corals start growing on the big rocks it's harder to garden them and take them out to move or frag...
  6. tank o tang

How high of a temp would you be willing to go before intervening?

And if possible use a cooler with a drain and elevate it to drain easily and add more ice as needed.
  7. tank o tang

You can always make a chiller. 2 bulkheads in the side of a good cooler. Coil some tubing inside the cooler (the more tubing the more surface to cool but leave room for the ice) and fill with ice. Hook up a powerhead to a temp controller or turn on manually to lower temp.
  8. tank o tang

My 180gal adventure

Tank update. Lost a bit of coral, mostly from not epoxying them as frags and falling into the back or other coral. Didn't make it to KOR so not much new in the tank. Still don't know right setting to take good pics and not changing the tank light to take pics. The black widow nem just split but...
  9. tank o tang

Instead of plexiglass covers try a netting or screen to keep fish in and allow evaporated cooling with a fan.
  10. tank o tang

Rodi ?

Why do you need 2 membranes? Sediment filter and carbon block should have tds low enough for one membrane. Water pressure is probably going to have to be pretty high to send through 2 membranes with any efficiency. Maybe add a second sediment or carbon before the membrane. Again, no pro here...
  11. tank o tang

Moving - advice needed

No difference between the brute and a tank other than not being able to see them as easy and light height. As long as you have water movement, heat, and lighting all should be well. Maybe get the stand built before the move? Maybe throw the coral and fish in a temporary tank while you get your...
  12. tank o tang

Tank swap to complete the upgrade!!

I would acclimate them just the same as you would if buying them from someone (no qt needed) unless the 2 tanks were tied in together. Probably wouldn't have big effect to put straight in but every system is different even if in the same room. Most coral can easily go 2-3 days without light but...
  13. tank o tang

Moving - advice needed

How far of a move is it? I went with brute cans for rock and a couple 5gal for fish and corals. If going to be any extended amount of time get yourself a battery powered air pump for your fish buckets. I would use all new water (other than whats needed for the move)when at the new house, all...
  14. tank o tang

Free Come and Get It, I'm Done

Once they reach high school you just need to add to and replenish the clean up crew.
  15. tank o tang

Think about getting out

Maybe if your on the fence look at automating the chore work. Nothing is worse than sellers remorse. Well maybe buyers remorse when your buying stuff you already had. If I hadn't kept my stuff when I moved I probably wouldn't have been able to start from scratch with all the equipment I acquired...
  16. tank o tang

Reefkeeper

Are you looking for a certain part or the whole system?
  17. tank o tang

Coraline

I got this little plastic thing in a goody bag called the chiseler and it works great. I use it to remove it off my overflows when it restricts my drainage. Works great.
  18. tank o tang

fixing black box LED

Could be that one of the leds in the string are blown. Kind of like Christmas lights.
  19. tank o tang

Need help with plumbing

Have any other info? Location? Plumbing into stand/closet/ basement? Pic? Not looking to charge you other than pizza and beer if your local. It's pretty easy. Just remember gate and ball valves and unions are your friend. I would stay away from tubing and hosebarbs to use pvc or flex pvc.
  20. tank o tang

Algae and pests

What does everyone do when they get algae for their fuge? Dip it? Can pests come in on a ball of chaeto? I picked up a container of cheato at ffm and lately I've been noticing what I thought were flatworms in a cluster at the bottom of my fuge. Never really thought about dipping it. Now after...
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back