10g sump/fuge complete

aweeks95

Non-member
here it is

Attachments

• Edited pic for forum.JPG
    Edited pic for forum.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 2,529
the left side is where the over-flow will enter (the over flow line will be split with a "T" to feed the fuge. the fuge line will have a ball valve on it so i can regulate the flow within the fuge.) in the back-middle is the fuge area. it measures 11.5" long and 4.75" wide. the area in front of the fuge will contain live rock. the right is where the return pump will go. water will spill out of the fuge through the black grate (which was salvaged from the cover of an old HOB filter). and yes it all fits into a ten gallon tank.
what do you guys think?

well i got it going lastnight......boy was it alot of work to find out the thing sounds like a toilet!!!!! the water entering the sump backs up in the hose and then "flushes" out and gurgles.....i have a couple ideas in mind but if anyone has some of thier own i'd be glad to hear em....

here it is after i tried to quiet it down....

Attachments

• sump running for BRS.JPG
    sump running for BRS.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 1,247
i used acrylic dividers. the black inserted teeth was the cover for an old HOB filter. i just cut it down to fit and then cut the acrylic to the right opening size and siliconed it in place. glad you like it.....thanks. i will take some better pics of different areas of it and post them soon too...

That's one neat job! I'm also debating designs on how to plumb my 30-gallon sump. I do like the split flow to the fuge idea. There is one thing that may plague you later on that sticks out in the pic. It may not be an issue for you at all but It's the second set of air baffles to the right. Without an auto top off it may be tough to regulate your water level. There is only a small amount of volume in the final pump compartment to work with and you don't want to let the pump go dry. Present design looks like it may be necessary though due to the fuge return aimed toward the rock compartment. If you start to have evaporation problems you could aim the fuge overflow towards the left side. This would allow you to get rid of the right two most outer acrylic dividers but still keep the one with the one-inch bottom opening. Although, the rocks might be enough to break the bubbles and you still could keep the front return. Let us know how it performs. Nice DIY!
Rich

thanks for the input rich...you are right on the small return pump area...as of yet no problems as i do check it every day to top it off. my next plan is to do an auto top off, but not for the next few weeks or so ( i'll be moving soon). surprisingly i don't get alot of bubbles from the fuge spilling over to the rock compartment. i thought i'd get more which is why i built the second bubble trap. but for now i'll leave it alone and just keep it in mind for when i build my next one...LOL, ya right!!! i'll just tweak this one when i need to, but i am happy for now with how it works. i'll wait till i add cheato and see how that goes.

just some patience....but not bad at all.
"this is me" post me a pic of yours....maybe i could help you clean it up. all i did was dry fit averything to make sure they fit and fit square. the only thing i couldn't do was put the equipment in it to dry fit them because i was using them in the sump i was runnig while i made this one...when all was said and done, it together better than anticipated. wish i took more step by step pics for you guys though...

any specific questions i'd be glad to help as much as i can....if you want to come over and see it, just ask and we'll set-up a time and day.

ANDY

Nice job. I'm running something kind of similar. One piece of advice: When you cut your return section down to 2 or 3 galons like this, it doesnt take much evap to have a dry pump. Make yourself an auto top off, or you'll end up with a burnt out pump if you go away for a day or 2. (I have that issue right now.)

Also, paint the hoses, or cover them in tape or something. I have clear hoses..they fill up with algae because of the lights in the fuge.

Nice job though. Much cleaner than mine.

Last edited:
thank you, i do intend to do both...i'm going to use dark grey foam, the type used to insulate water pipes in your house on the hose and in time get a water top off running.
thank you for looking at the thread and chiming in!!!

here are some more pics of it running...i'm still looking for cheato and i need to get some water pipe insulation to cover my hoses....

Attachments

• sump feed line & tank return line.JPG
    sump feed line & tank return line.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,187
front view...you can see the depth of the sand in the fuge in the back...

Attachments

• front view 1....JPG
    front view 1....JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,182
here is a side view so you can see a bit more of how i divided the tank up...

Attachments

• side view.JPG
    side view.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 1,176
one more, this is across the top of the fuge...doesn't show much but i thought it was cool to see the water flowing through the grates..

Attachments

• across top of fuge.JPG
    across top of fuge.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,170
Back