Reef Deal 120w dimmable LED light

I have 2 of these over my 125. I just recently purchased them about 4 weeks ago on eBay. I am quite new to the hobby, so I can't give you too much info other than they came about 9 days after I ordered them. Packaged very well. They are quite bright and make my tank look great. There are some lengthy threads on these and the non dimmable versions on 3reef. Seems like people are having good luck with them. My tank is just now finishing its cycle so I will soon find out how they perform.

I have 2 of the non-dimmable 3 switch versions. I am having good growth with them, and the color is sweet.

I will say I have had 2 of the drivers go on me in the first 2 weeks I had them. After those were replaced (which I did at home) its been smooth sailing!

I have been dong a lot of reading on them, several decent reviews on RC. I read a couple of the places do a discount for orders larger than one. Maybe small group buy???

What settings are yu guys using on your dimmable lights? I have mine at 45% white and 55% blue, but really not sure if that is good or not.

Steelermike do you get any shadows from the braces? I was considering building an led but for the$ I may get 2 of these. How high do u run them over your tank?

I've got one dimmable and one non-dimmable (on a 90 with center brace), so I keep the dimmable consistent with the non-dimmable--which is about 55/45 Blue to White. Gives it a 14-20K look.

Steelermike do you get any shadows from the braces? I was considering building an led but for the$ I may get 2 of these. How high do u run them over your tank?
My tank is actually about 20 years old and doesn't have a center brace. The glass is thicker and it weighs a ton! It has a center brace that you set in it for holding up lights etc but it is not structural at all so I don't have it in since I run the tank uncovered. I have them 9 inches above the tank

Wow 108 led diy? You will need at least 7-8 drivers to run 108 leds
The wiring could get very ugly underneath the stand
These cheap chinese made led are not that bad. Well built though

Hey, i did look it up, the drivers that come with the 108 led kit , you will need to run 3 set of 12 led string in parallel. Doing that the voltage will divide by three, it wont be very bright for you though. The max output is just 48v,with 3w on each led that equal to 14-15 led max

Last edited:
Hey, i did look it up, the drivers that come with the 108 led kit , you will need to run 3 set of 12 led string in parallel. Doing that the voltage will divide by three, it wont be very bright for you though. The max output is just 48v,with 3w on each led that equal to 14-15 led max

More info

Each one of these LEDs probably has a max ratting of 4 volts and 650mA , and the Driver has a max of 48v and 1.9A . So if you put 12 Leds in series the voltage divides by each led and the current stays the same. For example driver max (48volts) divided by led max (4volts) equals 12 leds. So 12 leds can run at max on one string. Now the max current that LED string wants to ever run is 650mA and the driver can produce 1.9 Amps so if you made three strings of 12 leds in series the max current of the driver would divide by three which would be 633mA Which would be real close to max. Now dealing with these drivers alot I know they can create more current and voltage than they are rated for.

Back