2.5 nitrate problems

Basically since I set this tank up in december I have always had nitrate problems, they seem to stay around 20 mg/l and won't go down, even after a 70% water change they are the same. I do 15% weekly water changes. Everything else is at zero, alk is at 12.6. Livestock is 2 nass snails, 1 blue leg hermit, 3 astrae snails, 2 monticap, frogspawn, hammer, lobo, and candy cane. I have some caulerpa in there to bring down nitrates, but it doesn't seem to work. I am using RO/DI which has trates of 0, make up water has trates of 0. No skimmer because it is a 2.5 and I haven't figured out how to get one on there yet. Any ideas on how to get them down?

What kind of test kit are you using? Salifert makes reliable test kits. A skimmer will help tremendously in helping to lower your nitrates. Also, try changing to another food, maybe brine shrimp?

If you still have the same level of nitrates after a 70% water change then I would suspect your test kit as well and possibly your salt mix. If your filtered water is at 0 nitrates then dilution alone with a 70% water change would bring down your nitrates. Test your fresh made saltwater and try another test kit.

Back