26 Oct 2008 BRS/SWAM (Maine club) Joint Meet and Coral Farmers Market–Portsmouth, NH

Greg Hiller

BRS Moderator
Staff member
BRS Member
Yes, this meeting is way north, but the roadtrip went way south, and the next meeting after this one is also way south.

Okay, this month we are trying something new. The Connecticut club did something similar recently, and it was a great success, folks had a lot of fun.

We’ve chosen a location for this joint meeting halfway between SWAM’s (Saltwater Addicts of Maine) typical meeting location and Boston. The theme of the meeting is folks showcasing what type of stuff they’ve been aquaculturing. This means corals, other inverts, and fish. Any members that would like to can set up a small tank at the meeting to show us their stuff, and to swap or sell what they would like. We ask that the stuff on display be stuff that they have raised THEMSELVES.

There will be a nominal charge of $20 per tank (up to 10 gallons, $30 for anything larger than 10 gallons, payable at the meeting) for anyone who wants to ‘lease space’ to set up a tank. This is a registration fee. You are generally expected to bring your own tank/lighting/bags/extension cords/markers for the tanks/water/towels for cleaup, etc.

The BRS also has a limited number of clean, but used 10-gallon tanks (three of them) with low wattage fluorescent lighting available for BRS members to use to display their corals at the meeting. You will need your own heaters and/or powerheads. If you want to use one of these tanks you need to pay the registration fee upfront to reserve the tank (the use of the tank is actually free, but we don’t want people reserving them and then not showing up). If interested in one of these tanks please paypal $20 to info at bostonreeferssociety dot org and send a PM direct to me (Greg Hiller). I’ll post here when the tanks are all spoken for.

Remember, if you need a tank for this meeting, small used tanks are very frequently for sale in the marketplace forums. Check there, or place a ‘wanted to buy’ add in the marketplace forum and perhaps someone will bring a tank for you in to this meeting. Extra lighting systems are also frequently available used. Remember, you can display your wares however you like. A Tupperware container with a desk lamp over it might be enough if your stuff is really good!

I recommend that people planning to bring livestock in plan ahead of time to get to the meeting on time so you can get your corals into your tank so that they recover from any handling stress and look good when people come around looking at them.

This meeting will also be a ‘clean out your closet’ type meeting. Anyone with used equipment lying around is encouraged to bring it in for swapping/selling at this meeting. Since people will be milling about looking at the tanks, it’s a great time to have such equipment out on display.

The doors will open at Noon for people setting up tanks, and open to all other members at 1 PM.

For any additional questions please post below.

The details then:

Date: Sunday Oct 26th.

Time: Noon to set up. 1 PM open to all.

To display your stuff you need to lease 'space' at the event, $20 for a 10 gallon, $30 for anything larger

Schedule of meeting:

Noon - Setup

1 PM - General membership arrives

1:15 PM - Announcements

1 PM - 3:30 PM. Massive frag and old equipment swapping mayhem. New member registration.
Drop of samples for water testing. Library book check out. General reef discussion, etc.

~2 PM Pizza delivery

~2:30 Raffle drawing

3:30 PM Clean up.

See everyone there. I might have room in my car for 2 people if anyone wants to carpool. I am leaving from Rochester MA.

Will there be water testing? If so I'd be interested in helping test the water...

Yes, there will be water testing. We would love some help in this.

hi all, is anyone planning on bring any cleanup crew items they have bred? i need to beef mine up and would prefer to buy from another member. already asked on the SWAM boards. i'm looking foward to finally meeting some of you and will we be able to join at this meeting even tho its a joint venture?

ty

>is anyone planning on bring any cleanup crew items they have bred<

Be pretty cool, but not exactly easy to do. I hope some people can bring some stuff in. I may be able to bring some dwarf serpents.

Years ago I used to have a small species of snail (black and pointy shelled) that would reproduce regularly....anyone have any of these?, I'd love to get some again.

I can't believe it! Work has made a new policy that everyone now gets 1 weekend off per month (big improvement from NO weekends off) That is my weekend off...I can actually make it to a meeting! See you guys there.

Wow, that stinks, you've had to work every weekend? :eek: Geez, now I feel better about working every Saturday.:D It'll be nice to finally meet you Darren....are you bringing a date with you? :p

>Is there a list of items that are going to be on sale?<

It's probably best that people post the stuff they are going to bring in the marketplace. We could also start a 'what are you going to bring' type thread here.

I definitely have to make this meeting, considering I have still have a library book to return. Couldn't make the last meeting because I was hung over from an Octoberfest party the night before. But on a Sunday!:), You guys really aren't making it easy on me :p.

so who wants to come to UNH after the auction for some college coed mayhem? looks like i will actually make it to another BRS event

BOD/Greg-
Just to clarify, if someone has extra eqmnt/non livestock to sell/trade is that the $30 "lease" fee?

Rusty, no, if you just have equipment, there is no fee. Only if you are setting up a tank to display stuff. $20 for anything up to a 10 gallon tank. $30 for anything over a 10 gallon tank.

Back