3/4 Inch Plywood?

About how much weight do you think 3/4 inch plywood could safely handle?
Woah, Loaded question if I ever heard one. - just ribbing you :D

You would ultimately need to provide a lot of specifics in order for anyone qualified enough to answer that question.
Definitely, don't look at me, but I know a little about it.
Should we assume you are asking about grade C-D (CDX)? Higher grades are structurally superior - like what is used for concrete forms and I think has more to do with the adhesive used in between the plys, but I might be wrong.
Point loaded, plywood is pretty strong, but the more you spread the weight out the more it'll support - to a point (ok, that might be a pun...). That point being - How many layers of the plywood (most homes I've worked on have at least 2 layers of 5/8, and I think commercial properties are suppose to have 2 layers of 3/4), the strength of the supports under the plywood, the span, or distance between those supports, then the distance the supports themselves have to span. - Were talking structural engineering at this juncture. (Notice I didn't say, "at this point").

See what I mean about the "loaded" question. :)
Maybe explain what you would like to do and I'm sure some experience will chime in and get you going.

I know - I hate it when I go into a hardware store, or home center and ask, "Do you have any _______"? And I immediately get back, 'Well, what are you trying to do"? Argghhh! I hate that. A few times (in a wise a$$ mood) my reply has been, "What bearing does that have on whether you have any _____ or not".
:D:D

Last edited:
Sorry, that was a tad vague. Here's the situation, Marineland makes an aquarium stand out of said material. The aquarium I'd like to place on it weighs (ballpark here) around 150 pounds and will hold approximately 45 gallons of water, which should weigh at a minimum of about 600 pounds with about 700 pounds being more likely. The stand is also designed to hold a 60 gallon cube aquarium and I'm pretty sure Marineland uses basically the same construction and materials for a 70 gallon aquarium.

Your thoughts?

Back