36x18 Tank Owners

RichConley

Attack of the Killer Cute
I'm looking at possibly getting an Oceanic 58g, and was wondering what all you 50/58/65g tank owners use for pumps, how much flow, what lights, what you can grow how far up, etc.

Give me the gritty details.

Hey rich,

I have the 55g model.
Running a Mag 9.5 for a return. 2 Seio 820's inside for flow.

A single 14K 250W DE MH over the middle. (Looking into either another MH or some actinics and swapping the 14K for a 10k).

Tanks still kind of new so dont know about the growth question. Have the rocks about 3/4 up, and a few sps frags doing just fine up there.

I've got a 65 and I really love it. It has the proportions of a big tank (very tall and deep for it's length). I have a basement sump, so my pump is a 1400 gph mak4 running through an eductor in the main tank (probably circulating 2-3000 gph in the tank). I also have a seio 820 which works well in that size tank.

My tank is lit with three 175w MH bulbs and no supplementation. (one 20K, two 10-15K). I keep primarily SPS, with demanding acros growing well in the top 2/3 of the tank, and things like digitata growing quickly on the sandbed.

Nate

how do you fit three 175 SE (big size) MH on a 36 inch tank? Got a pic? Thanks

They're lined up across the length of the tank at a slight angle. I'm planning to build a less-ghetto canopy someday, and will probably position them running front-to-back. But right now they fit just fine running side-to-side.
Nate

anyone else around got something like this?

What sort of pump setups do you guys reccomend

I have just set up a 58, but so far I am very happy with the tank. It is lit with dual 175 SE MHs, and dual 39W T5s off a PFO parallel reflector. This gives me an excellent distribution of light. The sump return is from a Quietone 3000, pushing around 600 GPH @ 3' head. I have a MJ 1200 running contstantly with a Hydor water deflector and two MJ 1200s mixing up the water movement on a Wavemaster. Again, I am very happy with what I have seen so far, but only time will tell.

I have the Oceanic 58g, mag 9.5 return, 2 maxi jet 1200s in the display. euroreef es5-2, oceanic model 1 sump, (2) 200 watt heaters,. lighting is a single reef optix III pendant in a custom canopy with a 250w DE 14K phoenix bulb. I keep a mixed reef with SPS and a crocea in the top half and a derasa and misc lps and softies in the lower part of the tank. Hope that helps.

sch1013, you havent had any problems with the single 250 DE? Thats what I have at this point, and I'm trying to decide if I'm gonna need to supplement with t5s, PCs, VHOs, or maybe a pair of those 70W MHs in 20K

Also, I believe this thing is tempered bottom, so I can't drill the bottom, but I'm trying to keep equipment out of the tank, so maybe running a CL....

My 40breeder (36Lx18Wx16H) tank that I am still setting up will have a Velocity T3 (800gph) pushing through a OM squirt for a closed loop and a Eheim 1260 (600gph) for a return. Part of the flow from the eheim will feed the fuge in the sump so I will probably have about 350-400gph for a return.

None of this has been really tested yet though since this setup is still, after nearly 2 years, being setup up.

I should have said I have only had the single 250de for about 2 weeks now, I had a T5 TEK light before that but it only put out 234 watts and I had no problem with that. I think it is a tempered bottom also, the RR version comes with a corner overflow ans 2 bulkheads in the bottom

Back