4x65WPC actinic VS 2x110 VHO URI

JeremyAN7

Non-member
Can anyone tell from experience what the observable differences between the two title line choices for actinic lighting would be?

Color?
Brightness?
Life of bulbs?

i have heard that vho are stonger, better color, and life of bulbs a little better, but some people just say skip vho and go right to t-5
Duds

JeremyAN7 said:
Interesting. I heard T5 were short lived....
t5 has the longest useful life when compare to VHO and PC. I think PC and VHO are equally bad when compare to t5. VHO is the worst by consuming more electricity and producing less like per watt than PC and t5. I don't understand why VHO is still a consideration for reef lighting.

I've read elsewhere that T5 bulbs can last up to 18 months. PC's about 6, VHO I think is somewhere between 6 months to a year.

i've never liked how corals look under pc actinic (either blue or 03)

VHO really makes them fluoresce. also NO 7100k looks great as well.

Is there a reference somewhere that compares the three types on scientific and fact basis? PC, T5 and VHO?

So I ordered the fixture. with VHO 110 watt x 2. they are URI bulbs..

He asked me if I wanted 10k or 15k for the MH. I took 10k but he said 15k are more popular now.. REALLY?? why? Am I not right in thinking for corals / growth I'm better off with 10k?

i think you will like those best..plus cheaper to replace.

i'm under the impression that in general, 10k would have better par
14-15k seem to be popular as most people do not like any yellow tint at all and prefer a more blue tone to the tank.
20k too much..10k not enough.

As soon as I say that I saw an advertisement for URI T5s. lol I'd be interested to see those.

There seems to be a lot of conflicting stories about the 3 types of actinics. Many swearing that the VHO's can't be touched, and others saying that T5's are the most efficient. From my perspective, simply on cost the VHO's are cheaper because there are 2 bulbs instead of 4. The individual bulbs all seem to cost the same, so my annual bulb cost is 1/2. The electric cost of 2 VHOs or 4 PCs or T5's is almost exactly the same. The only remaining variable, is which gives better looking (and feelnig for the corals) light..

JeremyAN7 said:
others saying that T5's are the most efficient. The electric cost of 2 VHOs or 4 PCs or T5's is almost exactly the same.
well, they would be wouldn't they? VHO is double the electric cost.
48" T5 =54w
VHO = 110w

well, ya if you're going by str8 wattage.
of course every bulb type will use the same electric consumption with basically equal wattage.

from what i have seen from the look of actinic brightness, the 110w VHO's are no more brighter than my 40w NO 7100k blue bulb.

a 48" 54w T5 will cover the same area as a 48" 110w VHO, concerning actinics neither will look like they are producing more light than the other.

you have to replace vho's every 6 months so when you replace them every year it costs exactly the same as vho's and the t-5's wont give you a harsh electric bill, t-5 you replace every year but vhos you replace 6 months

say t-5 bulb costs $20
vho bulb cost $20

replace 2 vho 6 months $40
replace 2 vho 1 year $40
total: $80

replace t-5 1 year $80
total: $80

and the electricity cost for t-5's is a lot better
Duds

Triggerfish said:
jeremy said that the bulbs cost about the same and people say you have to replace the vho's every 6 months, so its the same price, and people also say that t-5's are cheaper to run than vhos
Duds

Back