6 months in and a little frustrated

erikjphillips

Non-member
So i started into the world of saltwater about 4 months back. my brother has been into the hobby for a few years back and has been some what guiding me along the way. My first tank, (i think a 35 hex?) had a leak in the seam that showed up about 3 months ago. of course these things happen at the most conveinent times, 11pm. had to quickly downgrade to a 30gal. no big deal, these things happen. i saved up some money and purchased a 40 breeder with matching stand and glass tops. got it all set up, purcheased a phosban and everything is going great.....until a month ago. my refuge(HOB) plugged up, over flowed onto an outlet, blew the circut. everything was hooked up to the same outlet so naturally my flow stoped, heat stoped, and lights were out. this was the case for about 3 days before i returend home due to my son being born. since this time, EVERYTHING has come to a hault. there is little to no growth on anything, GSP stopped, pipe organs look horrible, some zoas dont open as much anymore. there was some die off but not much. i hope this hobby gets less stressful as it goes along. if anyone has any advice for me it would be great

First off welcome :)

It can be tough and thing like this do take the wind from your sail. One of the most import things to do is look at your system and imagine what could go wrong.
Then try and put in fail safes to decrease the chances of things going wrong.

Not sure where you are located but if you get a chance come to one of our meeting talking one on one with other reefers can get a lot of questions answered.
Easy to get a reefer to talk just say "Hi I am so and so. What size tank do you have?" :)

i'm way out in western mass, about 10 miles for the NY border. looking at the refuge i'm trying to depcipher a way to prevent the plant matter from plugging up the return. I have seen the listing for the meetings but its a pretty good drive for me to go out there. maybe i'll plan a trip around the time the bruins play for the cup this year

Michele (Kiah) is in Barre. You should try to get over to her place. She has all kinds of set ups, And She loves visitors..
Michelle

Sorry to hear about your problems. I remember being a newbie and the roller coaster ride of learning. It can be trying. Check your water parameters. Skiimmer, keep good flow and keep it simple. If there's someone near you more knowledgable ask for help. That's what we're here for.

Back