7 weeks fishless?

dianeww

Non-member
I've been away from here for a while, having had a rather sad year or so with my tank. Now I'm ready to get going again, and have two super healthy clowns in quarantine. Is 7 weeks the commonly accepted time to leave the main tank fishless after marine ich/ marine velvet, or both? The clowns are anxious for better quarters!

IIRC 8 wks is usually reccomended for ick (this varies depending on who you talk to), but I don't know about velvet. Personally I figure if you've waited 7 weeks, what's another week or two. I've let it run 12 wks when I've fought off ick.

I'd try looking through the stickies at the top of the RC fish disease forums to try to find an answer re;velvet.

8 weeks minimum. I left my tank fallow for 10 after ich. It's a long 10 weeks, but it's the way to go.

Thanks, Jimmy and Jay. You are right, what's another week or two now? Is it the fishes who want better quarters, or is it their care-giver?? :(

I haven't checked the RC stickies yet, but my lfs girl (who normally seems very knowledgeable) said you don't have to go fishless for velvet, it doesn't do the stages like ick.

Huh, I took a quick look and all I found on velvet was this old thread. At one point it is said that a system should be left fallow for a min of 8 weeks, and that velvet takes LONGER than ick to clear out. (again, the 8 wk reccomendation for ick varies, I'd take it as 8 wk for ick, and maybe 10 or more for velvet - but then again I have no personal exp with velvet)

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=5177

Back