90 gallon shutdown due leaky bulkhead

TL1956

Non-member
I'm new to this site but have had the system running for four years. 90 gallon with sump/refugium in the basement. This week I discovered the bulkhead on the return leaking. I replaced the fitting with a new one and found the old one was severely cracked. After refilling I am seeing salt creep on the new bulkhead. I decided to shutdown the tank and return livestock to LFS until I can figure out next steps for secure system. I am considering a new tank with all drains and returns drilled on the back near the top versus the bottom. Has anyone sen this done before? I think the biggest concern would be the water flow noise but not sure.....

Welcome to the BRS! I grew up in Dedham where abouts are you. Did you have the gasket on the flange side? I myself just drilled a 125 at the top for a bean overflow. But I just had a 90 that had a cracked bulkhead and I thought the tank was leaking that's why I am building the 125.

Live near the new middle school. Grew up in Greenlodge. I installed the gasket on the inside of the tank so between the flange and the glass. I am considering the new tank so at least if I develop a leak there is a small amount of water to escape.

I grew up in the Manor section right next to Greenlodge. Are you sure all of the surfaces were clean and the bulkhead was tight. Maybe the plumbing was pulling on the bulkhead and keeping it from seating right. If all else fails a little silicone never hurts.

I drilled my drain/returns at the top of the back of my tank. Just make sure its nice and tight, but not too tight where the gaskets pop out. Also, its always nice to put some silicone on just to seal it up for sure. Why did you drill towards the bottom of the back? IMO its safer to go closer to the top.

My tank came from the manufacturer with the holes drilled in the bottom for the overflow. That's the bottom of the tank not bottom of the back. I had two additional holes drilled for a closed system. So four holes in the bottom of te tank. I was told by LFS that hardening silicone was not recommended. I did use silicone lubricant to help seal and it was good for several years. Now I'm rethinking the whole system. Drilling the top/back is a lot more comforting.

if u have a little snot caught between the gasket it will cause a salt creep issue..seeing that the tank has been set up previously that might b ur issue...

Thanks all. Taking a break for the next few months. I plan on starting back up with a new tank and some changes in my filtering systems.

Back