A GENERATOR? Seeking Recommendations

nilaydeshmukh

BRS Member
I do not have a generator :(

This storm made me think that I should have one. I am looking for a generator that doesn't break my back but good enough to power up my tank (170 G), may be run a refrigerator, wifi modem and a couple of lights if and when needed. Thankfully, I don't lose power that often. . . . but you never know.

Ideally, I would like to have something that could connect to three circuit breakers (I have tank is on one circuit, refrigerator on another and wifi modem and heating pumps on another). I might be asking for too much. I don't know how that could be done. I guess it is all possible with $$$.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I had a honda that i LOVED and just upgraded to a whole home generac. Both are great.

A generator is one thing but how you interface it is another. Are you looking to install a transfer switch or run appliances/tank with extension cords? If I’m running with cords you only have so many “branches” or outlets to run from and most times that doesn’t get near the max power of the genny.

But, if “powering” a house. Then I think genny size comes into play.

I run a Honda eu7000is through a transfer switch in my house.

I looked into this a few months ago and decided that although the ideal solution is a fancy fuel injection based whole house generator on an automatic transfer switch, an emergency generator just needs to get me through an emergency. I bought a small 2000w model on Amazon that can run on propane or gas. The propane feature is in important to me because small engine maintenance is not something I enjoy or even ... participate in. The propane won't gum up the carburetor if I forget to drain the thing at the end of the year. It's plenty to run my tanks and a very small heater, or my tanks and the fridge.

It cost like $4-500, which seems good to me.

Thank you all!! I had received a quote from Generac guy for the whole house (on natural gas connected to my pipeline) generator $8500 last summer and they were backed up for months in terms of supply. I didn't call him back after receiving the quote :)

The reality is that I rarely lose power. If I do, it is for a few hours, longest has been for 12 hours in the last 14 years that I am living at my present house. . . . My first priority is to be able to get by with the power outages without killing my tank overnight. Second is it to run the house refrigerator and avoid thawing of the freezer. . . . other inconveniences I can probably live with (given rarity of the power outages). It is probably not not going to be as nice as to have it switch over automatically but a lot of money to justify. . . .

@ChrisV would you mind sharing which generator that you got?

Thank you all again!

I bought a predator 2000w inverter last storm where we lost power for 4 days. $550, powered the 175 gallon system, refrigerator/freezer downstairs and modem/ gaming PC for days.

@BiGGiePauls33 Thank you! That is impressive work by the generator for 4 days! Did you have to run heater(s) or did the outage happen in summer days? Thanks for sharing!

I have a Honda 2200 and it has no equal. I use it for camping and remote yard work as well power outages.
Its not meant for use with automated transfer switches, but I run a Tripplite UPS on my salt tanks. This UPS (uninterruptable power supply) is meant for home computers and unfortunately will only give me about 15-20 minute window (in theory) until its internal battery is depleted. What's really neat though is the power to the tank doesn't stop when the lines go dead. It gives me enough time to toss a cord and start the generator without my tank's lights even blinking. Not a dream system, but I don't worry about power outages anymore. I can also run my house furnace and fridge, and most importantly...my sump pump for the basement.

I bought a predator 2000w inverter last storm where we lost power for 4 days. $550, powered the 175 gallon system, refrigerator/freezer downstairs and modem/ gaming PC for days.
I have the 3500 predator and love it, super quiet

Just buy a predator like Paul said.
I have a 1800 watt generac that I’m into for about 1800 bucks including the electrician installing the transfer switch. Where I am I have a wet basement and if it’s a rainstorm I need my sump pump. Other good thing is I run everything in my house on it and it’s only about 50-60 percent capacity. 10 gallons of gas would last me about a day.

@BiGGiePauls33 Thank you! That is impressive work by the generator for 4 days! Did you have to run heater(s) or did the outage happen in summer days? Thanks for sharing!
This was in October. Power went out at like 3AM and didn't get a generator until about noon. Tanks dropped to about 72 degrees maybe lower. I run twin 150watt heater in my sump. I was able to run the heaters, carx, an 8 bulb ATI 48" fixture, 4 bulb 36" aquatic life, skimmer, gaming PC dual monitors, and the fridge/freezer. Worked well

I don’t know how you guys with the generator outside deal with the power cord coming into the house. I hate not able to close the door or window because I have a power cord coming in.
Transfer switch for whole house for me. I had a Honda EU2000 that I bought for 999$ And used it for 5 years and sold it for $800 after. I’m now using an EU7000. I chose the portable over the standby generator because I can take it anywhere with me. If I had paid for the standby Generac at my old house, the new owner would’ve enjoyed it and I would have to shell out another 10k. There’s also some maintenance cost on those standby as well.
I’m about to buy another EU7000 and the parallel kit to link them together to start the compressor for those nasty summer storms outages. This past summer we lost power and it was 98degress with 99% humidity. The single EU7000 can start the compressor but I had to turn off almost everything to get it started. Having two link together will run two compressors easily.
I don’t like not having power. Doesn’t matter how expensive or fancy your house is, without power, it’s rough living.

Besides, I spent way too much time and money to crash my tank because I don’t have $5K of insurance money(for back up power). And it’s not easy to recover from a tank crash sometime. sh*** linger on and it can take awhile to fully recover.

I totally agree that big generators on a transfer switch are the way to go. I just don't have the life situation for it yet. As a backup in an emergency, I will use my cheapo $450 generator. It works! I'm in a moderately temporary housing situation (~5yrs). When I transition to the next phase in a new house, I will up my game. For now, I just need "enough."

Last summer after reading a post on this forum, I got a 6000 watt Wen generator for under $500, a Reliance 30-amp 6 circuit transfer switch box for under $300 and around $100 of electrical cable and conduit for installation. It took a few hours to install professionally with a little planning to even out the loads on the transfer switch. I was able to power up my gas furnace system, refrigerator, lighting circuits throughout the house and a few outlets and reef tanks. The generator’s continuous wattage is more than adequate for everything I needed to keep running during power outages. I like this approach a lot because of its flexibility of uses, convenience and cost effective. The generator can be stored away when not in use and out of the elements or loaned to family members as needed so they don’t have to run out and buy another generator, the permanently installed 30-amp generator connecting outlet on the side of the house means it’s as easy as replacing a new 30-amp generator when this one breaks. I start and warm my generator every 2-3 months at my convenience so it’s likely to start and run well when there’s an actual power outages.

Thank you all! This forum was probably the best place to ask this question than trying to figure it out myself. I am convinced and thinking of going with a transfer switch for the convenience factor of using it and a go with a more affordable generator at this time. I could always upgrade to a better and more powerful generator down the road if I experience more electrical outages and should my needs change over time.

Thank you all!

While I know this is a couple of weeks old, but only 1 person, luu78, mentioned hooking your furnace up to the generator. If you are married, buy a generator for your tank but you can not turn on your house heat in the winter during a power outage, you could be in for some awkward questions.
I apologize if I missed someone else mentioning hooking up your house heating system.

Jeff

My gene in nh hooked to house so it runs everything but stove dryer. Generac 8000. Up in maine tanks and house on a generac whole house off gas. Pretty sweet, power out It switches seamlessly. If your in a stay there house worth looking into.

While I know this is a couple of weeks old, but only 1 person, luu78, mentioned hooking your furnace up to the generator. If you are married, buy a generator for your tank but you can not turn on your house heat in the winter during a power outage, you could be in for some awkward questions.
I apologize if I missed someone else mentioning hooking up your house heating system.

Jeff
Most home furnaces have a junction box where your 110V connection is hard wired and protected behind a cover. It's a pretty straight forward project to modify this with a plug and socket so if using a portable generator you can simply unplug it from the home's wiring and connect it with a cord to the generator. Just be aware air conditioning and electric baseboards (and water heaters) are usually the killer consumers and too much for smaller units, but heating systems that use oil or gas don't really draw much.
A full home system like highfive mentioned is first class of course, but the portability and convenience of a quality smaller unit should be pointed out. I love my Generac too, but its my Honda 2200 that helped me build a cabin in Vermont and has powered chainsaws and log splitters producing who knows how much firewood. Even just the ability to use my leaf blower at the extremities of my property without a 1/4 mile of cord.....lol

A smaller generator with a little thought on how to easily connect it goes a long way.

Back