A GENERATOR? Seeking Recommendations

Most home furnaces have a junction box where your 110V connection is hard wired and protected behind a cover. It's a pretty straight forward project to modify this with a plug and socket so if using a portable generator you can simply unplug it from the home's wiring and connect it with a cord to the generator. Just be aware air conditioning and electric baseboards (and water heaters) are usually the killer consumers and too much for smaller units, but heating systems that use oil or gas don't really draw much.
A full home system like highfive mentioned is first class of course, but the portability and convenience of a quality smaller unit should be pointed out. I love my Generac too, but its my Honda 2200 that helped me build a cabin in Vermont and has powered chainsaws and log splitters producing who knows how much firewood. Even just the ability to use my leaf blower at the extremities of my property without a 1/4 mile of cord.....lol

A smaller generator with a little thought on how to easily connect it goes a long way.
Absolutely agree. A small generator with a transfer switch set up at the panel will keep you covered. Not as convenient, a little more work but will do the job add fraction of the cost of an automatic, propane run system.

I got a Generac 18KW house generator wuth transfer switch and installed for under $6k. (Bought through Home Depot)
Have had it for almost 6 years, and has been worth every penny and thousands more.
If you own a house, to me its a no brainer. It literally runs everything in my house and then some. Nice to have the piece of mind, let alone knowing I wont lose anything. (Fish, Corals, Dogs, Food) and can still do laundry.
Oh, and its nice to stay warm or cool too.

Agreed and I might actually have installed your generator if the contractor was in Foxboro!....lol
I doubt it as I'd remember your set up. Ended up with many small old generators from customers that thought "They don't need it anymore"..... Thank you all those old customers!

Agreed and I might actually have installed your generator if the contractor was in Foxboro!....lol
I doubt it as I'd remember your set up. Ended up with many small old generators from customers that thought "They don't need it anymore"..... Thank you all those old customers!
Company was in Foxboro, lol
And they almost left me their generator lol

Sounds like Barros Electric! I'm pretty sure the owner took the money and ran a couple years ago. Classic case of a son taking over the father's business and running it aground. Not sure you could find more venomous reviews on Google.....#fail...lol

I also have a generac (11kw i believe) and it is worth it!
if the power goes out, I have it back on less that 2 seconds later.

Back