A question on Dripping Kalk

fulinn

Love to Learn
Good Morning All !

I bought two small Aqua Doser containers for kalk dripping cause they fit in my available space , however the outlet for dripping the kalk is at the bottom of the container, so when you hang it all the undissolved solids go down the drip as well as the kalk mix. I don't hava alot of solids, but there is some.

When I realized this I changed the position of the container to prevent this but it can not be hung up any longer and is taking up more space than I'd hoped.

So, my question <you knew I'd get it eventually > are the undissolved solids a danger to the tank ? Or is it ok to allow them to drip into the tank with the kalk mix ?

What do you think ?
Thanks
bonnie

While I don't have a definitive answer for you this article as well as this one talk about what is left in the precipitate. I wouldn't add it if I didn't have to but I have also seen at least one tank where the reefer added a kalk slurry which added everything and the tank looked real nice. If you decide you don't want to add the precipitate you could always mix up a larger batch of kalk in a separate container, wait for it to settle, and fill you dosers with the clear kalkwasser.

I would avoid adding the undissolved kalk to the tank, I thought most drippers were designed with the spout elevated to prevent this. I use a kalk stirrer which I really like.

Jim

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out in just a bit.

The thought of mixing up like a gallon at a time and allowing it to settle out will probably be my best bet. Although, I have not read your links yet, everything I have read says to allow it to settle out so I'm thinking there must be a reason for this recommendation !

Thanks, looks like another milk jug by the tank < lol >

Bonnie

Its not a good idea to allow Kalk precipitate to enter the tank, it boosts the PH too quick & can bring it up way too much.
I had a top off malfunction a while back which did this & crashed my entire 140 SPS tank...
I would recommend a kalk reactor, this is what I use now, & I drip it in instead of using a top off switch ( no chance of overdosing)
Matt

I also lost a tank to a Kalk malfunction.

Now I run a PH controller on any top off system or pump that introduces Kalk.
PH reaches 8.5-8.6 pump looses power and you are all set. Just be sure you set it up so the pump can't continue to siphon or best case use a peralstaltic pump.

Back