hi
need to get a hang on skimmer for a smaller tank
seen both these in the 4 sale area
any 1 better than the other and why
i heard the ac remora is the best but didnt know why
would one be able to do better with a larger tank and sump that i want to
upgrade to sometime?
thanks for any info

I tried both when I had my nano and I preferred the Remora. It was a lot quieter, performed better, and seemed to be easier to adjust. And the overall build quality was better IMO.

Regardless of which one you pick, I'd recommend buying a used one to save a bit of money. Post a thread in the WTB forums, a lot of reefers have them laying around. I have a Remora in the attic but I don't think I'm quite ready to part with it.

i have had a remora and a remora pro the are so easy to use, attach the pump put it in the tank and thats it no adjustment(except for the cup height)

Well,I have a CPR Bak Pak 2.
I think it works ok for my 55 gallon.
The biggest drawback to both these skimmer is the Rio PH they come with.I've had to hit it with the end of a prod a few times to get it started after unpugging it.If you do get one,make sure it has,or get a MaxiJet 1200 for it.

I have a cpr back pack on my nano system and I would def recomend the remora. LOL I dont like my back pack it just seems like you have to tune it everyday to keep it working properly. Not to mention it is alot louder than the remora.

I use a CPR Bak Pak and it seems to be doing fine for me. My collector box get fill up about every 4-5 days. I changed the RIO pump out for a Maxijet 1200 with the adaptor and it works a lot better. I do noticed that if you tune it a certain way it can be very loud but when tune correctly, at least what I think is correct, it really quiet and I get a lot of bubbles. Of course I never use another skimmer to compare. Just my 2 cents. Oh by the way I have a 72G tank with mix reef tank. Everything seems to be very happy.

pvh,

Is yours one of the newer models?
Mines only about 8 months old.
I just ordered a MJ1200 for mine.
Where did you get the adaptor? I was just going to do something I seen modded for it.

I think mine is older than your's. I got the adaptor for the maxijet 1200 at AG. It's only a few bucks. Tip: close the setting all the way and then slowly open it up to get the maximum bubbles.

pvh,

Is yours one of the newer models?
Mines only about 8 months old.
I just ordered a MJ1200 for mine.
Where did you get the adaptor? I was just going to do something I seen modded for it.

I've got one for sale, in the 50-60 gallon range though the best damn skimmer is the tunze DOC 9002......also its about 1/4 the size, only drawback is it needs to be mounted inside the sump or tank with a high water level....not a problem in my finnex 30g or modded JBJ however.

The bakpack performed damn well with a meshmodded mj1200 and PM's maxijet venturi mod....almost as good as the tunze but at more than twice the size and louder......

Oh man...AG is like way far away for me.
Brian,i'm already to do a mesh mod.Have an extra impeller and some gutter guard all ready to go.I've seen some DYI stuff that used the outlet disperser part of the MJ as the venturi intake.

that Precision marine venturi is like $3.00......best $3.00 i spent....i tried to make my own venturi for it for a week prior to purchasing it...that one just works better plain and simple.....

the outlet venturi gets somewhat poor results.........also defeats the purpose of the meshmod...

Its just the intake piece......the rest pictured does not come with it.....http://www.precisionmarinedirect.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=807#

Last edited:
Thanks for the link,Brian.
It looks like the price has gone up since,like everything else.
Would you know if John has these at Creatures?
I'll probaby have to order one or take a ride up to AG.
Never been there so it might be fun.
I don't like using this thread,but it looked like the person that started it already made up their mind.

you can have mine for $3.00 I think john charged me $3.95......the price listed is higher than what john sells them for, they are order only though.....

As far as the remora versus the bakpak, the only way the remora C performs better is with a mag pump....., with a mj 1200 performance is about the same.....the remora takes up alot more space......

In fact both of these skimmers I would only reccomend with all the toys.......or not at all....... without the best pumps they're performance is lackluster, without the surface skimmers they are pants......and without bubble traps........they are a pita......sadly you can get a much better skimmer for less money once you've paid for all the attachments......

This is coming from someone who has used both skimmers with an without all the attachments..............

It boils down to space......the remora is not really any quieter with the best pump.......

Last edited:
Cool,i'll take it.You wouldn't happen to have the skimmer attachment?:rolleyes:I usually take a ride out to creatures on a Thursday or Friday.
Busy place on a Thursday.lol
I'll shoot you a PM the day I''ll be going.
I bought the CPR after doing some reading on another sight before I found BRS and RC.At the time I had just a 20L set up and was just trying my hand at SW tanks.Right now I don't want to upgrade yet as the 55 is really narrow and has no room for a decent sump underneath.Besides the tank is not reef ready.Soon,hopefully this summer I plan to get a 75 or 120 RR and plumb to the basement.But that all depends on the funds.

-Bob

only attachment i have is the bubble trap.......in my application my pump sat in the surface skimmer side of my finnex....ala no need for a surface skimmer box.

I have what I suspect is the bubble trap.Is that the fine mesh sock that goes on the return?I've never had any need for that as the new Reef design has an extra chamber to stop micro-bubbles.I tried it one after a chemi-clean treatment.It was like trying to catch mosquitos with a fishing net.lol

Back