Acro bird nest died unknown reason

ldam

LIAM
Few days a go I saw my bird nest a few branch brown up with brown flesh and then just sheet shed off, after another night the whole colony 10"+ did the same thing the whole thing was gone it started to spread to the Next colony and then to my green slimmer, I break what I can and dip it in coralrx but still couldn't save what left of the green slimmer any idea, bacteria parasite? All my other coral seem to do just fine I have the same type of bird nest and green slimmer at another spot doesn't effect it at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same thing happen to a large sour apple birdsnest. I couldn't save the big piece, but other frags of the same coral in the tank were unaffected. The only thing I found wrong in my tank was my phosphates were a little high, but I don't know if they were high before the birdsnest or if the birdsnest caused it to go high. Even though I brought the phosphates down, I still lost a coco worm and one other sps within days of the birdsnest.

What are your parameters? Birdsnest usually first one to go when the Alkalinity is incorrect. Also FYI birdsnest are not Acropora but Seriatopora.

+1 on Alkalinity but not just the specific number your at. But has it fluctuated? Alk swings can be bad. Are you dosing and has that changed at all?
I shoot for stability within accepted range for ALK now rather than a specific number.

Did you recently add or change GFO? Have seen some cases of possibly bad bulk GFO and if not added correctly the GFO can also cause Alk swings.

Last edited:
Nothing changes all my other bird nest are fine I have the same kind of bird nest at another location doesn't effect at all, just that area

First I thought something eating it but didn't see anything overnight, could it be bacteria

I did not have an alk swing either. For me, my open brain and chalices show signs of alk problems before the birdsnest would. I had it for at least 4/5 years, grew it from a small frag. Now I'm kinda glad it used to break so easily because I still have frags all over the tank. :)

My chalice seem fine it effects few others colony close to it
I blame petco I add a green mandarin last week with some of their water

Before blaming Petco, have you tested your water. As been said have you had swings in Alk ? I had also birdnests dying because of issues in my water, and not afecting in the same way Acros. It is just a though.

Large birdsnst colonies are prone to RTN suddenly especially at 10 inch diameter.
I have seen many large colonies of bidsnest die off slowly from bottom up and inside out. I also saw large birdsnest RTN overnight suddenly with no apparent reason.

I suspect it is due to light and flow due to the dense "nest".

After loosing several large colonies, I have been keeping all birdsnest no larger than 4 to 5 inches. I prune them frequently to make sure all branches get good flow and light. Since then I have not loose a single colony. But now I have hundreds of small colonies everywhere.

Back