adding sump/fuge ,many questions, 1st one

willray

Division Champs
Have a 55 gal with 130 lbs live rock, live sand bed,ramora pro skimmer, quiteone 3000 pump {about 700gal p/h} hooked to squid and fluval canister filter been running for a year..I starting to add a fuge/sump below using a marineland sos overflow.
My 1st question in a series of many to come.Should I keep using the canister filter or ditch it.it is full bio media and fromm time to time a little carbon. thanks!
Bill

IMO, with that much live rock, the age of your tank, and now adding a fuge/sump, you really don't need the canister filter for filtration. I would keep it to run carbon though - especially if you have softies.

willray said:
can't you put carbon in the somewhere in the sump?

Sure but why take up sump space if you already have something to run carbon in......But, if you plan on ditching the canister filter let me know
wink.gif

Can you use the canister to feed the AquaC skimmer?

you could problem would be if a bag broke in sump could possible damage your return pump(s) I would keep it and run carbon....I like running carbon 24/7 but my tank is lps/softies...

bottom line, running carbon isn't a bad idea...and a canister is a very easy way to do it.

Not sure if it would matter much with the amount of LR in your tank, but you may want to remove the bio media in a couple of steps. Your tank is used to having that bacteria there and to remove it all at once could be problematic. Even if it wouldn't be due to the LR, I always try and be on the safe side of things! :)

Eric

I want to add some strength to my sump.can lexan be cemented to acrylic with weld on 16?

I'm not sure. I expect so, but perhaps not as strongly as acrylic/acrylic. You can get 1/4" acrylic at Home Depot so you could pick that up instead.

another sump ?

Thanks Nate, I tend to like lexan.It whats used for bullet pfoof glass,it's bendable w/o heat,won't crack ever.Plus i have scrap pcs.

Anyone have opinions of this sump/fuge?
Does the water from the overflow go into the left chamber or right?

Attachments

• Sscn2000.jpg
    Sscn2000.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 140
Back