Adoptive parents and/or baby brine?

crb

Non-member
New offspring have arrived.

Noticed that my male Bangaii Cardinal fish was carrying 2-3 weeks ago. I wasn't planning on raising this first batch b/c of a planned tank move and limited time, but I don't have the heart to not help them along a bit after seeing the little freshly hatched guys peaking out of the male's mouth last night and seeing them swimming around today.

Anyone have some baby brine handy that isn't too far from Somerville (Davis) while I get setup to hatch some myself?

I'm also happy to put the fish up for adoption (there are 12 of them the last time I counted) if someone is setup to raise them already.

CRB

P.S. I also have a fresh batch of Ocellaris Clownfish eggs that I'd be happy to part with when they hatch.

Last edited:
In a month or so if your still looking to get rid of the bangai fry and clownfish fry id be happy to take them continuely.

I just need to get a few tanks setup to start raising my seahorses and I can start raining your fry too

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I've gone through 2 generations of Bangaii since posting here last. The survival rate is about 20% in my tank and all I've done is switched to smaller mysis shrimp. The first generation is old enough that they'd survive being moved to another system (assuming it is a peaceful environment).

The next batch is on the way (I guess the dad is surviving by eating small numbers of offspring, b/c he doesn't eat otherwise which might work for one generation, but not for multiple generations so close together). The clownfish fry don't have a chance without care (and all the hungry Bangaii babies around). I'd have to find a way to get them to lay eggs on something I could remove right before hatching (right now they are laying eggs on the rocks).

I'll post when the next group Bangaii emerge. I'd love to trade some for some sea horses if you're still interested.

I have to get a few things together but sounds good.

Try to separate the male for a week or two so he can regain his strength. And with the clownfish you can use a tile
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Since I noticed you are talking about babies, I have two very tiny fish from the rescue last Sunday in Rhode Island. One is a cowfish and the other is a spot fin butterfly. I've been feeding them phytoplex, cyclops and marine cuisine because they are the tinest food products I have. I also put a piece of nori in there. Both of you sound pretty experienced with small fry. Do you have any other suggestions on what to feed these little guys?

Since I noticed you are talking about babies, I have two very tiny fish from the rescue last Sunday in Rhode Island. One is a cowfish and the other is a spot fin butterfly. I've been feeding them phytoplex, cyclops and marine cuisine because they are the tinest food products I have. I also put a piece of nori in there. Both of you sound pretty experienced with small fry. Do you have any other suggestions on what to feed these little guys?

You could shave some brine. that's what i do for my babies when they are young.
Michelle

That's an interesting idea. I never thought of that. I probably have 3 or 4 packs of the frozen stuff in my freezer. Thanks.

Although a juvenile cowfish and spot fin butterfly are likely a very different ballgame, so far I've had good luck with the frozen baby brine Michelle mentioned. When the guys are tiny I just add some of the baby brine and a week or so afterwards I start mixing in frozen "mini mysis" and they transition pretty quickly to that. Good luck!

Wish I could have gone to the rescue. Where does it take place exactly?

The rescue was at Fort Wetherill in Jamestown. It was a long day, but I had a great lunch for $5. They didn't have nearly the catch that they had last year, maybe 4 or 5 small butterflys, 1 cowfish, a couple of brown spotted triggers and a lot of pipefish. I was very lucky. Michael Schruben was the first to catch anything, and he told me I could have his fish. He is a great guy, and a very knowledgeable diver. He has a nature video with Johnathon Bird (Season 2) about catching wild fish. So far, my little guys are doing great. I have them in a 14 bio cube, but they are so tiny it will be a while before I can put them in with my other fish. The cowfish looks like a baby pea swimming in the tank, but he eats well. The butterfly is about the size of a nickel. I don't know how he even saw them in the water. Thanks for all you help. Maybe I'll see you at the rescue next year. lol

Back