Advice Needed

jcherepo

BRS Member
Hi - Looking for some expert input. I am losing 2 colonies over the past month or so. Not sure if the green algae is the cause or if the green algae is starting to grow on the coral because it is dying. See picture. This is only happening to 2 colonies, the rest are ok and growing...

parameters:
SG = 32.5
ALK = 8.9
Temp = 78.2 to 79.0
Ca = 380 to 375
Mg = 1200 to 1400
Nitrate = 15 to 25
Phosphate = 0.08 to 0.12

Did an ICP test about 2 months ago and all was in target ranges. Results above are about the same 2 month range within those boundaries. Could my lower Ca and Mg be the cause?
Thanks,
Joe
FFBAB1E3-35EA-46BB-8D37-19766AE9075A.jpeg

180 DT with overall 220 volume. Refugium that I cut back about every 2 months. UV 24x7 with heavy skimming. Only 6 fish and 3 MP 40s. Running 2 reefbreeders 32”. Running full Triton method and am hoping that this is not the beginning signs of things to come... tank has been running for 2.5yrs.

No particular reason that I have kept it there. It has always been on the low side and things have been flourishing.
Thermometer is with Apex and referenced with a thermopen cooking probe. Using the Hanna salinity pen which I just calibrated. Will double check that against my refractometer. You think I should gradually increase salinity?

Triton is no water changes right?
If I am right about that, and it has been 2.5 years then I would change some water and see if things improve. Are the pumps clean? Flow has not decreased due to growth of colonies? That could also be the problem I bet. If you are happy with Triton, then maybe evaluate flow and start with that rather than water changes? Curious, but how do you maintain salinity at a constant level with aggressive skimming? I need to do water changes with higher salinity water on my 180 weekly to keep salinity up due to aggressive skimmer use. Bubble Magus c-9 DC is my skimmer. 40 sump and 30 fuge on my system.

2-part / 3-part dosing will raise Salinity over time.

It looks like the algae is growing where the tissue has died. It should be easy to see the dead parts or any STN / RTN with a flashlight before the lights turn on.

Is that algae slimy like green cyano?

Last edited:
For the no water change methods, it won’t work well with many acro. If that is the case, weekly water change is the key to keep most acropora happy. No water change method can work well with many soft coral and LPS as they have higher tolerance of organic toxins accumulated overtime, these toxins are constantly generated by many soft coral and some LPS as chemical warfare to fight for living space. Triton has a test for organic matters, it can detect some but not all.

Interesting points you all make. Thank you, it is feedback like this that makes this site such an integral part of this hobby.

My take-away's:

1. I am going to bring up salinity a touch gradually.
2. Relocate some of my MP-40's. Right now I have 2 on one end and one on the other. Flow is high in many spots, but there are areas that I am beginning to see some of the green cyano (algae is not slimy, but I can blow it off in sheets with a turkey baster, so I assume that it is cyano). Will try to strategically move these around a bit.
3. Begin a few water changes to see how things progress.

I will let you know how things progress in the coming weeks.
Thanks,
Joe

Thanks Joe! I am looking forward to your update. You are right, this is how we all learn. I hope things work out well! I am excited to see what you experience with your changes in the coming weeks. There are many ways to succeed in this hobby, we definitely make each other more successful and keep costs realistic by sharing experiences!

Back