Advice on shutting down my tank, any lessons learned?

dedfish

That's Mr.Murphy to you!
It's time for me to shutdown my tank, it's a oceanic 70tech. I've had this system running since Feb 2008 but some of the corals and fish have been with me through several tank upgrades and apartment moves. I've had a great time over the last 7 years in the hobby but due to several changes happening in my life, laid off after 10 years in the IT industry, changing careers, and most likely moving within 3 months I think it's time to shut things down. I'm interested in general advice on shutting down a system and maybe any lessons you learned and things you would have done differently. I don't want to rush things but I want to get the process started.

Thanks,
Jason

Make it easy on yourself. This hobby has expenses, not investments... Save yourself the headache of trying to "Recoup" what you have spent and give back to this awesome community with great deals! You'll see that it'll come back when you return ;)

Getting rid of my stuff in a couple of 'Bulk sales' this time sure made everything go easier than when I sold my first tank and contents off.

I have a couple of pieces of advice. You will only get a fraction of the cost you paid for your equipment when it was new. If you have any inkling that you might be getting back 'in', shut down the tank, sell the contents, but keep your gear. That way, starting back up is going to be much easier on you and your wallet.

It's going to be sad to see it go. Took this shot minutes ago.

full_Nov-21-2010.jpg

Sure? No but I really need to. I'm going to be moving, trying to open a business, and raising a puppy all on the limited time frame and budget that my severance allows. I just won't have the time or the money. The three big candy cane colonies are going up for sale first. Look for a for sale thread either later tonight or tomorrow.

The purple and green cap is growing on the overflow wall and there is a pink something in front of it. :rolleyes: To be honest I got a few small sps frags when I set the tank up and really never paid attention to the names. I can probably search the for sale threads to find what it was advertised as.

From looking at the for sale post it was sold as 'tricolor millipora'. To the right of it was another frag sold as 'Purple acro w. bright green polyps'. The other sps to the left and below in the other picture is 'pocilopora'. I think that's correct. Now the color may have developed differently in my tank light (250MH with T5s). All these were just small one branch frags when I got them.

IMG_0037.jpg

I've decided to wait till after xmas to sell anything. I'm getting a new puppy and would like to have him around while lots of strangers are coming over, it will be a good experience for him.

Back