advice w/ quarantine tank

expatgoalie

Non-member
Hey there,

I am setting up my qt tank this weekend and have a question. I have read several articles about proper set-up and many of them mention 15% water changes every other day. That seems like a lot to me. If there is adequate biological filtration to prevent the ammonia/trite spike, shouldn't this step become unnecessary? I plan on running a maxi-jet 900 with a filter sponge on the intake that has been sitting in my sump (cycled and ready) for a couple weeks.

What did you guys do? I was planning on daily monitoring and only doing WC if I needed to treat the tank or if I registered ammonia (which I don't think will happen).

Thanks

I have a Aqua clear filter on my qt tank and I keep the foam block in my sump for use in the qt tank when needed. I have never had the qt tank spike ammonia levels at all. The sponge on your powerhead should do the same thing. The only treatment I've ever done is hypo so I can't say if certain meds would cause the beneficial bacteria on the foam block to die off.

What size tank? I've used an aqua clear HOB filter in a 10gal and never had any problems. Most of the fish that have been in there weren't big enough to raise the ammonia very much. Last few timed I set up my QT, I would change about 15% of the water evry week if fish were in there that long.

Back