AF Lifesource

TPhan

BRS Member
Has anyone use this mud in your tank from Aquaforest?
How long have you use it?
Any positive or negative impact?
Was it worth it?

I used it before. Can't say it had any impact positive or negative. I used it in the hopes of increasing the biodiversity in a new tank. Can't definitely say it worked, but probably wouldn't spend money to buy again

I used it weekly for a few months on my 80g tank. The best way to describe it is like 3-in-1 soap, because it serves a few purposes. The mud and silt works as a floculant to leave the water more clear after the particles have dissipated (similar to KZ’s coral snow or any other liquid calcium carbonate mixture). I definitely noticed improved water clarity after use.

They also claim it adds bacterial diversity / trace elements, which can be tested with before and after microbiome analysis and ICP testing (aquabiomics is the only company I know of that tests the microbiome). While I never did either of those tests, I also did not get any cyano/dinos while I was using it. I had good polyp extension and puffy corals but I can’t say it was specifically because of the mud. Regarding the trace element claim, myself and others have noticed that some of the fine particles are actually magnetic and would bind to any magnetic mounts I had on the tank…I never noticed any ill effects, but it’s something to think about.

Would I buy it again? No, because if I want a flocculant I’ll use some DIY coral snow, if I want to increase diversity I’ll add bottled/powdered bacteria, and if I wanted to add trace elements I would send out an ICP and dose accordingly. I still think it’s a fine product, and if someone gave some to me I’d use it, but I wouldn’t spend money on it personally

I’ve used it during my ugly stage and found it coated the Rocks and sand bed. Cleaning them up in a few days. It does make a mess but it’s temporary. If your dosing it be patient it’ll land in clumps if your not carful.

Back