Algae question

MichaelJ

Reefer
BRS Member
If it’s covering my corals, sps….does that mean I need more flow or is it too much flow?
Or is there another reason?
2 - Ai 3’s
2 return flows

Michael J

Attachments

• IMG_1689.jpeg
    IMG_1689.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 64
What kind(s) of algae? Pictures might help.
I’ll get one when the lights come….it just basically a green coating…nothing hair like or reddish

And I’m running Neros 3. 2 of them at 75% waves

Best I can get with my lack of photographic skills…
The pic on the right is supposed to be a Yoda…..slight watermelon coloring I think…

Attachments

• IMG_1693.jpeg
    IMG_1693.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
How long has this system been up and running? Live rock vs dry rock etc. How's the parameters been? Stability for how long? What type of lights and settings? I can't really tell by the picture that you posted but it looks to me as well here isn't any flesh/skin on that piece. Could be wrong though.

How long has this system been up and running? Live rock vs dry rock etc. How's the parameters been? Stability for how long? What type of lights and settings? I can't really tell by the picture that you posted but it looks to me as well here isn't any flesh/skin on that piece. Could be wrong though.
Going on 5 months….parameters have been stable…high nitrates 60’s , I’m gonna do a moonshiner test on it though, my lights are 2. Ai 16hd, 2 Nero 3’s, at first i was running lights at a bluer spectrum, then increased to a more white…and finally added the second Nero 3 so there was not a lot of flow. You might be right on the flesh/skin. Gonna pull it and see….

Seems to me like those corals died and algae is growing over them…It’s hard to say if you have enough flow because we don’t have any info about tank size, rocks, etc.

I would hold off on adding new corals for now. Have you measured PAR? Primes are a great light as long as you have enough for your goals.

Do you have a build thread? It would be helpful in providing info like tank size, dimensions, return pump, filtration, etc.

Personally, I would do a few water changes to get the nitrates down. Where’s your salinity / what do you use to test? I like to keep reef tanks at 35ppt. Mag is a bit low, sometimes this is a giveaway that salinity is low. If not, I would increase it over the course of a few days to about 1400ppm.

Seems to me like those corals died and algae is growing over them…It’s hard to say if you have enough flow because we don’t have any info about tank size, rocks, etc.

I would hold off on adding new corals for now. Have you measured PAR? Primes are a great light as long as you have enough for your goals.

Do you have a build thread? It would be helpful in providing info like tank size, dimensions, return pump, filtration, etc.

Personally, I would do a few water changes to get the nitrates down. Where’s your salinity / what do you use to test? I like to keep reef tanks at 35ppt. Mag is a bit low, sometimes this is a giveaway that salinity is low. If not, I would increase it over the course of a few days to about 1400ppm.
I should have started a build thread….but I new equipment was going to change like the wind, it’s a 36g DT, 54 total, I use Spindisk for testing, Hanna to back up.
The corals in question were added about a month after other corals….I’m thinking light and flow at those areas were an issue.

But your right on not adding more,,,,

Back