Algae Reactor Ideas

gwdemos

BRS Member
After 5 years of running Biopellets, I pulled the plug yesterday. I have been running the largest reactor made by ReefDynamics and was down to approx 1 cup of pellets.
I had growing concerns about the potential impurities that could be shedding off the pellets, and while this was a highly effective approach at reducing both NO3 and PO4, i felt it was time for a change. So now I'm looking into Algae Reactors and need some help...
I'd like to get some response from those that have DIY'd Algae Reactors, those that have bought dedicated Algae Reactors, and maybe just maybe someone that had run biopellets at one point to compare!

I have several questions, but initially i will add that I have 2 reactors to potentially Convert IF I go the DIY approach.
I will also add that I haven't lost sight of a potential refugium, but i feel space is an issue eventhough this is a basement fish room, i like having open space.

Downsides of DIY Algae Reactor?:
I have read that simply wrapping an acryllic reactor in led strips leads to excess heat and damage to the acryllic tube (Crazing, etc.).
Is a Heat Sink Required? Heres the blog that had me concerned:
https://reefbum.com/equipment/diy-algae-reactors-a-risky-proposition/

I read about a guy buying an Aluminum Box that slid over his reactor and put heat sinks on the aluminum box, (link below) thoughts?
https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/385951-cool-diy-algae-reactor-cool-being-literal/

Conversion Approach, Which Reactor to Convert and How?
Look at the Lid of these reactors, and overall size... The larger is a 12" diameter tube, 24" high, I calculate it holds 9.8 gallons if my math is correct?
https://www.matthewb.id.au/converter/imperial-units-cylinder-volume-calculator.html
This large reactor offers easy access to reach in and maintain.
The Lid on this reactor has three holes (setup is calcium reactor, so holes for pH probe, Effluent line, and something else... this may be an issue if all the Algae reactor needs is One Hole for Light Tube?

The biopellet reactor is also very nice, but much smaller. My current system is 300g with plans to go up to 600g. So this may be too small, plus the tapered top may mean problems with maintenance for Algae purpose (it was ok for pellets) so i think i'm talking myself out of using this biopellet reactor for algae.

-Do I use a Light Tube or Wrap in LED? Pros/Cons?
-Do I need a heat Sink?
-Is Aluminum box a good approach?
-Are these 'Grow Trays' that some algae reactors incorporate necessary?

I got some ideas from this video:

I don't want to Overthink this, but I certainly don't want to make a ton of modifications, I'd prefer to do it once the best way and have it work flawlessly...
Thanks, I appreciate replys
IMG_0018.jpg
56989712389__838CD6C7-5F1E-40EB-BC18-E677E2DD4E4B.JPG
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg

I have a old biopellet reactor that is about two feet tall and maybe 4 inch wide and converted it to a algae reactor. I use those red and blue led amazon grow light strips wrapped around the tube and have no issues of crazing of the acrylic. They do put off some heat which I was worried about but it has been running for about a year with no issues. It has no problem growing chaeto although if I had my options and more money I would like a reactor that is wider, say 8". This reactor is on a 500 gallon system.

I have an Arid N18 Chaeto Reactor and a 302 Aquatics scrubber I've done some mods to. That being said I will be running an ATS on all my future tanks. Maintenance is easy and once established it seems to suck up more crap than the cheato reactor. Just my two cents.

Should make it clear that I will never buy a 302 Scrubber again, only reason mine does so well is because of how much work I did to it.

I made one out of a somatic media filter with an led strip. I had it on a 30gal frag tank with a 30gal sump. It was very effective. I ended up pulling my skimmer to not starve the tank. But keep in mind I only had 4 fish in the tank. Like you said it did heat up pretty good. I ran it 9 hours a night but would have it shut off for a 15 min after 3 hours. Then again off for half hour after 6 hours. So realistically more like 8 hours a night lol. But yeah worked well was pretty affordable and no cracks after a year and a half.

I have an Arid N18 Chaeto Reactor and a 302 Aquatics scrubber I've done some mods to. That being said I will be running an ATS on all my future tanks. Maintenance is easy and once established it seems to suck up more crap than the cheato reactor. Just my two cents.

Should make it clear that I will never buy a 302 Scrubber again, only reason mine does so well is because of how much work I did to it.
what scrubber would you consider based on your experience?

thanks for the replies.

so i think the large 12" diameter, 24" tall ReefOcto reactor is the one to convert. biopellet reactor just too small i think as an algae reactor on my system...but it is an awesome reactor!

I am going to look into a white powder coated aluminum box to go around the reactor with openings by the reactor bulkheads, maybe a peep hole to view algae growth. some light gauge aluminum i think, and tack on some heat sinks to the outside of the alum enclosure. rig the LED strip lights on the inside of the alum enclosure. now i gotta see my welder about this enclosure, should be pretty straight forward for him.

5 days since removing biopellet reactor, system tests 1ppm NO3, .24 PO4. higher phos than i'd like but not freaking. will see if NO3:pO4 balances out a bit before i consider GFO...

what scrubber would you consider based on your experience?

I’ll probably build my own for my next tank out of some cast acrylic or glass, but I have never heard anything bad about Turbo aquatics scrubbers, other than the waiting time to get your hands on one. Next to them is Clearwater.

Back