all glass canopies retro fit

Jahn

Non-member
anyone have experience retro fitting lighting into one of the newer all glass modern series canopies? the 48"?
looking to get 90g and trying to plan the lighting. prob 2 MH and few flourescents..
Canopy comes with the stand so might as well try to use it.

What color modern series stand/canopy are you looking at. All Glass has recently discontinued a couple of the modern series standsand canopies and has come out with the Mission series which is much nicer imo and would be much easier to either put a light unit or retrofit some lights into. A lot more space to play with inside the canopy.
Nate

I have put a hood into a canopy which your not supose to do but i did anyway
Duds

nbemmer said:
What color modern series stand/canopy are you looking at. All Glass has recently discontinued a couple of the modern series standsand canopies and has come out with the Mission series which is much nicer imo and would be much easier to either put a light unit or retrofit some lights into. A lot more space to play with inside the canopy.
Nate

They came out with a "new" design for most of them, which has a flip up front. They also call them the Classic Mission Series but they seem to look like the old Modern series.

http://www.all-glass.com/products/featured/classicmission/

If the canopy is as short as it looks in the picture I don't know if I would want to put MH lighting so close to the water for both heat and safety reasons. Your best bet would be to call AGA customer service and ask them the height of the canopy.

I set my lights on top of the canopy. you just take the door off and it rests right on top . im useing a 6' corallife fixture

One of the other differences with the Mission style AGA canopies is the extra height given inside for lighting. The modern series gives you about 5 inches of space from the top of the trim on a tank to the top of the canopy whereas the mission gives you aprox 9 inches. AGA has replaced the cherry and maple moderns with the mission, oak comes in both modern and mission and black only in modern.
Nate

Jahn said:
anyone have experience retro fitting lighting into one of the newer all glass modern series canopies? the 48"?
looking to get 90g and trying to plan the lighting. prob 2 MH and few flourescents..
Canopy comes with the stand so might as well try to use it.

I saw one recently in person. A fake me out cherry wood unit. It's nice but it's
all plastic though. :( (even the hinges to the canopy door) I'm not sure it will withstand the heat of MH. Probably start to warp over time due to the weight of it & the heat.
JMO
HTH

They are actually made out of the same material's used to make Pergo flooring. AGA was having problems with the soft maple wood used in the maple and cherry modern series warping over time.
Nate

I reto'd T-5's into mine would not be possible to do MH there is bartely enough room for T5's..

Mini4x could you link some photos of what you did?
I've emailed their customer service. hopefully I'll get a reply

I can try to take pics, should have done it when I was building. I have the Jebo fixtures, took them apart and mounted a few boards inside the canopy to mount them too. Very easy to do actaully.

Just as an FYI...I emailed AGA customer service with a question and I also called them to speak directly with a person. I got my answer from the live person and they responded to my email about 6 days later -- maybe this was just a fluke. You may want to give them a call directly for a more expedited response if they have not already emailed you back.

Back