Am I Crazy?

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
I just picked up a Tunze 6010 just a few hours ago from Sea Creature.
I'm hooking it up right now. Hmmmm......1800+gph and 400gph from the return in a 37gal. Hmm.....
Dont worry, I have a controller to turn that Tunze down. :D

TBoisvert said:
that is circulation in your tank. It has nothing to do with the return of the water from your sump. :) :)

He's saying he has 1800gph from the Tunze, in addition to 400gph that he already has from the sump return. All in a 37g... I think your fish are going to be seasick :D

Nuno

I think its fine...what is the water movement through 2sq ft in the ocean a minute?? Don't know the answer but I bet its probably even more...

Any divers out there have experience with this?

Well I have 2 x 6100's (6,137 gph) and a quiet one 6000 (which I think pushes 900 gph) in a 125 gallon tank. The fish were a little freaked when I first put them in the tank, but now they have gotten stronger and just ride the wave! LOL!!!

The costa rican surge near the seamounts would move us about 15 feet one way, and then fiften feet the other. It was like having a SCWD, except on a grand scale.
The only way to stay stationary was to hold onto something.

I have a pair 0f 6100 on my 180 gallon and its way too much for soft corals. ive got them running at about 40%. tunze are pretty powerfull

I have a 6000 in my 75 which you can't dial down. It isn't too bad though, I aimed it accross my rock so it breaks it up some.

Sounds like a good thing to me Mihn! :D

In my 65 I've got 800 from the return, 700 from a loop and 800 from a seio, and my tank isn't much larger than yours.

I finished setting it up last night around 11pm. No major sandstorm but i had to move a couple pieces of my coral around.
Here a picture. What you think?
I know it is a bit bulky in such a small tank but I really like the flow it's giving. I might keep the sand afterall.
full_840_p38037.jpeg

full_840_p38038.jpeg

Hey Minh -

Take another shot, with the same framing in 6 weeks. I'll bet your corals explode with growth and color with all of that additional water movement. You'll need a larger tank anyway!

I'm out of my league with this next comment, but the only downside to the powerful pump might be stress on the tank, no? I've heard that the very powerful TUNZEs decrease the life of the tank due to stress on the seams. I don't own one... know very little about them, so I don't even know if yours is in that category. Just remembering what I've heard and taking note... FYI.

Nice water disturbance on the surface though. :) Where in the world are you going to put that new frag you're getting from me? Your tank is as packed as mine!

bec

Thanks Bec, the Tunze is tuned down almost at the lowest setting, it just that on pulse, the pump might be at 40% and that last for 3 second. Yeah I heard of the stress it puts on the tank.
As for the frag, I can always find room. :D

Bec, I don't believe the Tunze alone causes stress on the seams. I think what they are talking about is if you have more than one and pulse them making waves. I think it's the side to side waves that stress the seams.

Back