and yet another newbie

astranotus

Non-member
Name's Rich..Live in Maine.."SWAM" member and someone told me to check out this site..pretty big compared:D Well just startin' out..Set up my first reef tank about 3 months ago..So far no real problems:p It's a 20L..40# aragonite sand,31# rock, 6 fish, Some invert.,some softys,SPS's...and a few others..just too much to go threw all:D..Once I started..I just can't stop...Another addiction great!!:rolleyes:Just a quick pick of the tank..NEED TO UPGRADE

Attachments

• 2008_0310thegoodstuff0073.JPG
    2008_0310thegoodstuff0073.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 279
  • 2008_0310thegoodstuff0019.JPG
    2008_0310thegoodstuff0019.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 287
  • 2008_0310thegoodstuff0049.JPG
    2008_0310thegoodstuff0049.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 295
  • 2008_0310thegoodstuff0062.JPG
    2008_0310thegoodstuff0062.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 291
  • 2008_0310thegoodstuff0056.JPG
    2008_0310thegoodstuff0056.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 306
HI Rich and Welcome to the club.
Did you say that's a 20L?
I hope you plan to upgrade soon as that tang isn't going to like you very much.And 6 fish is going to be a HEAVY bioload.
No,I'm not "tang police".But,just letting you know in advance.

The Tang police are already looking for me:rolleyes:It was more of an investment..Hawaii is limiting 5 per diver soon..so they will be harder to get and more expensive..But yeah..I do hope to upgrade real soon...I would even if I didn't have the tang:D An addiction at its best!!Love this hobby....As for the other 5 ..With all the rock and sand..Im guessing that I have around 13, maybe 14 Gal. of water..and with weekly water changes of about 3 Gal...I am changing 1/4 of the water weekly..with the hopes all will be ok..and a good cleaner crew helps...what do you think..still not good enough..should I upgrade sooner than later??

I believe it.lol
Well,I'm glad to hear you'll be upgrading.
I started with a 20 L and now I have a 55 gallon.
Water parameters and top offs were quite a challange with the small tank.
Now i'm upgrading and putting in a basement sump.With the hope that someday i'll be able to set up a 75-90 gallon so I can have a tang.lol
Just kidding,I would like to eventually get into one of those tanks for the extra room.Corals spread out and start bothing each other in no time.
If I went any bigger it would definitly go in the basement.

hehe, it's definitely an illness. Started with a 14g Biocube Nov'06. The 180g is almost set up....with the 150g basement sump... ;)

Do they have a pill for this?

Amazon,
Did you have any tanks between the 14g and the 180 g?
That one heck of a jump if you didn't.lol
See what you're getting into Rich.:D

Hi Rich and welcome to the BRS! Great pics, I love the pearly jawfish, one of my favorite fish, lots of personality. :) Men and their always wanting bigger tanks.:rolleyes::D:p

Amazon,
Did you have any tanks between the 14g and the 180 g?
That one heck of a jump if you didn't.lol
See what you're getting into Rich.:D

Don't tanks = potato chips? Can't have just one! After the BC14 we then set up a 46g...then a 30g (they are both running). We are "consolidating" to a 180 :rolleyes:

Funny guys!!!consolidating to a 180...nice...I love the jaw fish too!! My first fish in the tank:)..Lots of personality this one..And there is a pill for this!!!..But...it keeps you awake to do more..I was into fresh mostly..at 1 time I had a 125, 55, 30H,20L,a 20L with a breeding pair of convicts and a 10g feeder tank:rolleyes:..What am I getting into??? wait and see..this SW is fantastic..haven't turned on the TV in 3 days....in 1 year..all my walls will probably be covered:D..right now I have a 55 w/ albino oscars & a tiger shovel nose, 65H discus tank with a black ghost, the 20L mixed reef, 6 gal nano community tank a 20L and a 3 gal nano just sitting and waiting:cool..Thanks for the replys..made me laugh..look forward to future chats about this illness of mine;)

Back