Another "What lights do you recommend" post

stevenp

(not so) Young MC
OK,
I'm going to be setting up a 90 gallon (48x18x24) tank in the next few months and I'm starting my homework now. This is my first large aquarium so I'm looking for a bit of advice. With so many different lighting systems on the market, it's tough to decide on something.

If you guys were in my shoes and had the opportunity to do it all over again, what would you purchase given your own experience?

Questions: (I will have actinics as well so these questions only pertain to MH).

(1) What wattage would you recommend? I was thinking either 2x250 or 2x400. Heat is not *that* big of a concern as I'll be running a chiller. I want to be able to support anything my heart desires; from clams to SPS to anenomes without having to put them on the top of the water column.

(2) The $60K question.... what ballast would you run? I'd really appreciate hearing some specifics. It seems that there are a ton of companies out there making ballasts and I'm having difficulty sorting through all the verbiage.

(3) The hood will be an Oceanic hood. They look pretty short... Is anyone running 'super-halides' under the standard Oceanic hood? Would it be a better idea to have a custom hood built that provides a bit more space?

Steve

I would get 2 reefoptic II pendants and run 250w DE on an icecap balast. The pendants would rest on top of a DIY canopy. I would also tun 4-6 T-5 for actinic. 4-actinc and 2-aquasun. Or 2-actinic and 2-aquasun.

I've only been using MH for a couple of months, so I can't really compare ballast and bulb brands, but FWIW I'm pretty happy so far with what I have: 2x 250W Phoenix 14000K DE on ReefOptixIII pendants driven by IceCap ballasts (exactly what Mihn suggested).

But if you want to see how I solved the problem of setting up MH lighting with a shallow canopy, take a look at this thread: http://216.235.242.50/forums/showthread.php?p=125286#post125089

Nuno

I think x2 250 watt bulbs would be more than enough. im running X3 250 watt bulbs on my 180 gallon and everything seems to be doing really well.

Nuno,
I was actually thinking about that thread when I was signing off last night... That is definately an option if I went with a standard canopy.

From what I've seen online, and what I'm seeing on this thread it doesn't appear I could wrong with Icecaps...

Steve

Steve, I don't know if you remember my setup when you came over but I have 2 250 SE MH with 2 T5 blue plus supplemental lighting. I'm running icecap eballast for the MH lighting and icecap 660 for the T5s.
Andy

I ran 2-175 w MH & 2 96w pc's on my 90. That was more than enough light for acros. (I placed them high too). So 2 (250's) w/ t5's or pc's will be plenty.
Not sure about clams, but I woudl think that 250's would be fine for clams too.

Back