Anthias on a hunger strike?

neptune

BRS Member
I have 50 gallow bow front reef tank (I use reef loosely) up and running for 10 years. 20 pounds live sand / 50 pounds live rock / over abundance of mushrooms / flame angel / two clowns / goby / cleaner shrimp / clean up crew / HOB skimmer / power compacts / HOB filter / strong circulation. My nitrates are high - always are around 30ppm. My Anthias 5 days old is not eating? I introduced a flame angel and Anthias Last Sunday... I think she ate in the beginning of the week.. and now no eating? I feed frozen preparations... many different varieties? Formula one / Spriralina brine shrimp / mysis shrimp / squid. I feed once a day. Do you actually feed your fish more then once a day? Many of the fish I have say feed at least 3x a day but I have NEVER fed more then once a day as to not dirty my tank?

SUGGESTIONS?

When I introduced her I kept the lights off for two days.. then I was worried my rock / mushrooms would have a negative effect w/ no light. Flame Angel is doing great but Anthias is not even going after food? AND TODAY I can't find her? She must be hiding in the rock? Quick ideas and foods she will eat? I will run to LFS and do whatever to keep her happy.

I was going to do a water change today... will this help or hurt?

And next week I have a blue hippo and a scotts fairy wrasse on order to complete my tank.

thank you!!

more on Anthias...

I noticed two days ago a single whitish mark on her body.. and last night it was two whitish marks? I think this may be helpful in the diagnosis. Not white spots like ick. More like the color faded... or she scratched herself??

anthias are VERY hard to keep alive, They require a very clean and stable environment...

Unfortunately the whits spots (like bleach spots) are signs of stress and the fish is Dying... this is just from my experience, I've been keeping anthias for quite some time, And I'v lost a few... The first sign of the fish not doing well is the spots you have mentioned... I'd do a water change and keep the environment as stress free as possible.. but i think it may be too late.. just my experience

I had a hard time with anthias. Mine would not eat anything. I will try one again soon after I research a bit.

No I have not heard of Cyclop-EEZE? Is it frozen food? I have been adding a garlic concentrate as a supplement to their food? I used to add Zoe I think that was the name.

yes it is frozen. Anthias usually love it too. Hippo tangs are pretty easy, as long as they have enough room. Any other tangs?

Definitely try the cyclopeeze. I just got my Anthias a week ago and that's the only thing I can get it to eat so far.

Also, are you leaving a power head on while feeding? I noticed that it won't go after food, just catch it as it goes by.

You could also try live brine shrimp. Some picky eaters will need a live food to stimulate a feeding response. Otherwise, sometimes just soaking food in garlic or Selcon can also help to stimulate feeding responses.

As far as the Blue Hippo, no they are not difficult to get eating. However they get huge! They really need a 6' long, by 2' wide tank minimum to keep them into adulthood.

Back