Any others using ozone?

reefkeeper2

BRS Member
After I overhauled my sump, I decided to start using ozone again. I used it long ago but found it to be a real pain so the equipment has been in mothballs for years. My main problem was how to run the water that exits my skimmer over carbon to catch/remove any excess ozone and it's harmful byproducts. I always ended up dumping carbon into the sump that eventually got stuck in my pumps. Like I said a real pain. When I recently redid my sump I got the idea to use carbon pads instead of the granulated form of carbon. I took a small acrylic box, cut some holes in the bottom and fit a nice square carbon pad into it. Then I just placed the box under the skimmer outlet. Voila! easy peasy and I felt really stupid for not thinking of it before. Anyway, I have been running ozone for about 3 months now. I have my apex turn it on at 8am and off at 3pm. It will also shut it off if the ORP gets too high but I don't think that could ever happen with the small ozonizer I have. I don't bother with an air dryer and I don't care what the ORP value is.
So after three months I am still pleased with the results. First, the water is fish floating in the air clear. Second, my sps have better polyp extension. I noticed this before when I used ozone and I see it again now. I would like to know exactly why this happens. Last, I don't use any granulated carbon at all. I don't miss the expense or the mess.
So I am curious if there are any others presently using ozone. Anyone notice the same effects?

I have been looking in to it lately but do not use it . My system is doing well and we always want them to do better right ? what kind of Ozone are you using ? from what I have read about them so far is that you inject Ozone in to the skimmer creating a higher quality air mass for fractionation . I have set them up industrially in water treatment plants but they are a whole different animal . using super dry Liquid oxygen ( something I will not use ) lol . Can you tell us more about them ?

I have an Ozotech 200 ozonizer. Manufacturers recommend using an air dryer with ozonizers because moisture in the air that goes through the ozonizer reduces the amount of ozone produced. I don't bother. Air dryers are a real pain and I don't think you need a lot of ozone to accomplish what your looking for. I have a small air pump that pushes air through the ozonizer and into my skimmer. From what I have read, you don't need a lot of ozone to keep your water clear and you don't need to run it all day. Just a small amount for a few hours is enough to eliminate the yellow organic compounds in the water. This is the way I use it. Some people monitor ORP values and have the ozonizer run whenever the ORP drops to a certain point. I don't bother with any of that and don't think it has any real value. You do need to have a monitor though, especially for a smaller tank. You don't want to overdose. You also need to make certain residual ozone doesn't leak into your house. My skimmer is vented to the outside so I don't have to worry. Most people use a carbon cap on the top of their skimmer to fix the problem. It takes a little tweeking to set the whole thing up properly.

Back