anyone ever collect local algae to feed fish

PRTA79

Non-member
is there any local algea that would be healthy to feed fish , like say from the cc canal for ex.

I collected some various types of macro algae from around Gloucester and Rockport to feed to the fish, they seemed to like it but it does not last long. I have no idea what the cc canal is :confused:

(cape cod canal)
i don't mean to keep it alive , i go there about 3 times a week , so i could just pick it up fresh

i assume it's fine too, but i want a definite answer ,im not going to even bother if it's not better than nori

Look for the thin, kind of spagetti like green stuff. My fish used to like that a lot. Usually you can find it attached to small rocks. I would just rinse in a bit of tap water, then toss into the tank. Tangs would suck it up like spagetti. You can also keep it in some saltwater in your frig for a week or so. Maybe longer if you change the water on it once in a while. You could also possibly dry it out and feed in the future.

I would be afraid of collecting from the Canal due to all the boat traffic in the area
I fish that area often and usually see a good amount of oil and fuel on the surface

i think i know exactly what your talking about , it almost looks like chaeto just tighter curls?

what about green ,or brown kelp do you think that stuff would be healthy too?

Back