Anyone have experience with Citron Goby???

GinaD

Very Happy Red Sox Reefer
He's awefully cute!

Species Profile:

Common Name: Citron Goby, Lemon goby, Poison goby
Scientific Name: Gobidon citrinus
Origin: Pacific, Indian, Great Barrier Reef
Restricted: No
Diet: Omnivore
Max Size: 1.5 (inches)
Tank Size: 30 (gallons)
*Reef Safe: Yes
Temp: 75 - 82 (Fahrenheit)
*Invert Safe: Yes *S.G.: 1.020 - 1.025
*Community Safe: Yes
*pH: 8.1 - 8.4
*Venomous: No
Difficulty: 3 (scale of 1-low to 10-high)
* For MOST fishGeneral Info:Tiny citron gobies are a beautiful bright yellow with blue markings around the eye, gill plate and base of dorsal. They are said to have a poisonous mucous. These gobies are very hardy and easy to keep. Gobies are a peaceful fish that spend most of their time on the bottom of the tank hiding amongst rocks. They may be aggressive with eachother, but should be ok with other community fish. Their diet consists mainly of frozen foods such as brine shrimp or other small crustaceans. They may eventually accept flake.

Attachments

• CitronGoby.jpg
    CitronGoby.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 279
I had green clown gobies which are similar and found that they would lay their eggs at the base of acros. They would cause some damage at the base of these acros and tho it didn't kill the coral...made it ugly. This is just my experience...

i have yellow clown gobies in a mostly lps/softies tank, and they are great little fish. very interesting, they act like dogs. every time i come up to the tank they come up and greet me. two of mine have paired off, and the third is a roamer in the tank.

They don't mention clown gobies in this article. I don't know if they'll act the same way. I am very tempted to try and get a male and female.

I have a green clown goby and he's a wonderful addition.. HOWEVER.. I also HAD a yellow goby as well.. the little bugger kept nipping my sps's all day everyday.. after 3 months and starting to see probs with the sps's I decided to get rid of him.. took 2 weeks and a dozen broken corals later to get him out... plan carefully as once he is in there.... seriously though they are great and if you ever get red bugs..(knock on wood) they will pick them off all day , wont get rid of them but deffinately keep them under control until you can get rid of them..

I thought I read somewhere with any of these little gobies make sure you get one that's chubby and eats. From what I read they aren't as pickey as manderins, but will often starve to death in tanks. Forgot where I read this or I'd post the link.

-Mike

You wanna make sure you select a healthy one look at the belly as most of them are starved and wont recover by the time they hit the shops then the homes.. as far as hardiness.. the only thing I feed my tank is algea waffers evry 4 or 5 days and krill once every 3 weeks for the LPS and whatever else eats it. as far as the goby hes a fatty as well as my mandrin, also have a lawnmower blenny and a 6line and a rabbitfish..

Attachments

• IMG_14316.jpg
    IMG_14316.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 212
I had gobies in the past pairs of each one out there
the only thing I can say is afteralot of trouble they were removed frommy tnak after 2 yrs of having them they wreaked havoc on SPS which wasnt a big deal to me but they terrorized and killed my millis and I NEVER had polyp extension on any corals

but the one thing I did see that was a HUGE benifit was redbugs had no chance against them and when I was going thru the red bug thing again recently I ALMOST gave in and got another pair but decided I really like my millis and seeing extension on my corals ;)

Thank you, Michele!
I love him! This is the best pic I could get so far (of course it would help if the glass were clean...) - you're right though, he is really shy.

Attachments

• P1020592crrs.jpg
    P1020592crrs.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 195
Ok, just got a better one...

Attachments

• P1020555cr2rs.jpg
    P1020555cr2rs.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 159
Ok, so this is his favorite coral now and he seems to be getting used to seeing me with the camera (like he ever had a choice!:D)..

Attachments

• P1020602rs.jpg
    P1020602rs.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 156
Ok, last one - I promise. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• P1020605rs2.jpg
    P1020605rs2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 183
Back