Anyone interested in helping! Please!

SeaCilla1212

Non-member
Hello everyone. If u have read some of my other threads I am recovering from a serious ich issue. I'm finally done now thank god!! I want to reset up my display tank. I'm new to this hobby and I'm having a tough time positioning the live rock and corals in a good place. I see how amazing everyone's looks on here and I only wish mine could look like that. So please if anyone would like to give a helping hand I would really appreciate it! I live in Taunton like right near the mall.

I live too far away to directly help.
But,
for info on aesthetics of aquascaping try
www.manhattanreefs.com/.../reefs.../100520-aesthetics-aquascaping.html‎

In terms of physical construction there are many approaches.
You can simply stack them. If so place them directly on the glass bottom so any burrowing creatures don't cause them to shift.
At our January meeting, Chris demonstrated how to use a masonry drill bit to create holes to insert plastic rods. He uses plastic tube coat hangars as his source for rods. This allows for easy disassembly if you want to alter your reef sometime in the future.
For cementing the rocks together there is a product called pond foam that is very effective. It has a black bumpy appearance so it blends in unless your using bleached dry rock. For white rock you can try J Weld's epoxy that is labeled for under water use and available in most hardware stores. I don't find it a strong adhesive but if you use a large enough piece for it to work into cavities, when it hardens it will lock the rocks together. It mixes to white so it wouldn't be an eyesore when your waiting for white dryrock to "purple up".

I live too far away to directly help.
But,
for info on aesthetics of aquascaping try
www.manhattanreefs.com/.../reefs.../100520-aesthetics-aquascaping.html‎

In terms of physical construction there are many approaches.
You can simply stack them. If so place them directly on the glass bottom so any burrowing creatures don't cause them to shift.
At our January meeting, Chris demonstrated how to use a masonry drill bit to create holes to insert plastic rods. He uses plastic tube coat hangars as his source for rods. This allows for easy disassembly if you want to alter your reef sometime in the future.
For cementing the rocks together there is a product called pond foam that is very effective. It has a black bumpy appearance so it blends in unless your using bleached dry rock. For white rock you can try J Weld's epoxy that is labeled for under water use and available in most hardware stores. I don't find it a strong adhesive but if you use a large enough piece for it to work into cavities, when it hardens it will lock the rocks together. It mixes to white so it wouldn't be an eyesore when your waiting for white dryrock to "purple up".

+1 on all this. Try and set up your rocks so that there are platforms or flat spots at different heights for placing corals. Also don't feel like you need to have the whole tank packed with rock. Some open space in there will look nice. You can do two separate structures, one on either side of the tank with an open middle. Stuff like that. I looked up a ton of pictures online and just picked some aquascapes that I liked and used the rocks I had to imitate things I liked. It's easier out of the tank also. I prob spent two or three nights fiddling around with it before I found something I liked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

+1 on all this. Try and set up your rocks so that there are platforms or flat spots at different heights for placing corals. Also don't feel like you need to have the whole tank packed with rock. Some open space in there will look nice. You can do two separate structures, one on either side of the tank with an open middle. Stuff like that. I looked up a ton of pictures online and just picked some aquascapes that I liked and used the rocks I had to imitate things I liked. It's easier out of the tank also. I prob spent two or three nights fiddling around with it before I found something I liked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Could u give me a website that u found some good pics from. I think that would be a lot easier for me if I did what u said. Try to imitate a picture. That would be great thank u!

Back