Anyone keep sexy shrimp?

Nikkoli110

Non-member
Hey I was wondering if anyone keeps sexy shrimp here. I saw some a while ago at CRA and they are just so cool to watch. I have 4 or 5 peppermint shirmp in my tank, don't know if that matters. I was wondering if they are out alot, do they stay in the sand, on rocks, on corals? Just wondering, if I'm going to get them I'd like to be able to see them. :) Also, does anyone know if they do better as 1, in pairs, or more? Thanks....

They very often become fish food. I just saw it happen this last weekend. A big fat 6 line wrasse was swimming around with the sexy end of the shrimp hanging out of it's mouth...

Auhh that doesn't sound too good, but for fish I have a hippo tang, royal gramma, ywg, 2 clown gobies, a false perc and a mandarin. Do any of these guys seem to be a threat? I'm not sure. My peppermints seem to like it, they breed like every 2 weeks. But I'd rather not be feeding the tank at $10 a pop.

I'd guess the hippo would love a sexy shrimp snack. So would the gramma. The clown would too.

One Eye said:
They very often become fish food. I just saw it happen this last weekend. A big fat 6 line wrasse was swimming around with the sexy end of the shrimp hanging out of it's mouth...

F-in' 6 lines!

I had one for about an hour's worth of acclimation time. I netted it and released it into my rocks. It flipped out and backpaddled across the tank. Water surface to clownfish's mouth in 6.3 seconds.

As long as you dont get the really tiny ones you "should" be ok. The YWG or gramma would be the ones I'd worry about.

They prefer to be in groups of 3-6 and they are (crap...I'm gonna butcher this spelling...look out) annemone shrimp so if you have an annemeone, release the shrimp right beside it and they will be safe, they will dart right into it and the other fish will leave them alone. If you dont have one, a little atlantic one or a tube will work great. They will stay right around it.

I had a group of 3 for 2 years that stayed around a tube an. Put a group of 5 in my ex's tank around an atlantic an. and they did great too. The 2 tangs, anthias, false percs, bar gobies, ywg, and coral banded shrimp never bothered them because they had their annem. to dart into.

I think the trick is to have something for them to host in and to put them in it with a net and just let them climb out on their own. no quick movements making them look like food.

Yup... they eat fish, but the sexy's somehow know that and they sit under the tenticals or just out of reach. The tips would sometimes touch a shrimp and they'd jump away real quick like they were shocked...then they'd run right back under it...it was so funny to watch. They lived together for 2 years like that and NEVER strayed from the tube.

Amazing the Anemone doesn't suck them right in when a tentacle touches the shrimp. They're pretty powerful. I've seen more than one small fish succumb(sp?) to it. Pretty cool combo!

I'll see if I can find pics of my old trio when I get home...I'm not sure but I might have some somewhere.

Thanks Jov that sounds good, I have an rbta that split a few times, so maybe they would do ok. I'm going to see if I can find a few good sized ones and try it out. Thanks guys :)

Sherry has a few in her nano. When she gets back from vacation, she probably can help with info.
attachment.php

heres the whole link -http://216.235.242.50/forums/showthread.php?t=10608

They are the cutest little guys. I bought a few when I set up my new tank. They disappeared the first day. I thought the Trigger had a nice sexy snack, but then I saw 2 of them in my sump a couple of weeks later. That was about 6 months ago...no idea if they're still in there. Watch your overflows...

Back