Anyone successfully keep a scopas tang and purple tang

Gsxkid

BRS Member
Curious if they would be alright together? There kinda similar in shape and size.

Was looking to keep 5 tangs in 1 tank

Powder blue
Scopas
Clown
Yellow
Purple

The tank is 8 feet long so there is space available I currently have a clown tang powder blue and scopas. Looking to add a purple and yellow

Sure it can be dIone. Not going to say "no problem" I have a 120g, with a lot of rock,which at one time had just the yellow tang in it. I added a smaller purple. It took two years before they settled into each other.. Fortunately no real hardcore aggression, just a lot of chasing by the purple and the yellow ended up spending a year-and-a-half in one corner of the tank. I recently purchased a tank which had three tangs in it of which I was really only interested in the hippo. I decided, as I am going up to a 240 tank, that it would be easier to add all three at the same time to minimize aggression or at least to spread it out amongst more fish rather than against a single fish. I added all three to my current 120 and had zero aggression. Two yellows, one purple, one Sailfin, one hippo. But the caveat is my experiences may not be yours. Anecdotally that clown Tang seems to become a problem fish as they get older.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be a problem. The clown tang will just dominate them all if not the Powder Blue.
Zebrasomas are tamed compare to Acanthurus.

I have a purple and a scopas together for several years now. They were added at the same time. They just ignore each other.

Back