anyone looking or thinking of getting a generator after this storm

Hello harbor freight has a sale on them to 2/13/12.the prices are different from there web page to instore like this one is $129 on sale on there web page instore is $89.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/engine...s-900-max-watts-portable-generator-66619.html. i think that one should run up to a 100 gallon or so without mh lights hth don

Yeah Harbour Freight has always had real cheap prices on small generators. Even better prices for black friday.

Thing is, those generators are extremely poorly made and break all the time. Buuut... For the price... If you are handy with a wrench, they can be repaired and you can save cash.
Plus, I mean really, how often do you need to use a generator? Buying cheap and doing monthly runs to make sure it works can really pay off and you save many hundreds over a brand new Honda Generator.

I have one it works great starts on the first pull and runs for a good amount of time on a tank of gas. I run my return pump and my fridge.

TurboSnail, is the one you have a HarbourFreight one? I have been thinking about buying one for the $88 myself since it's such a low price. I know they say checn and tighten all nuts and bolts with LocTite and replace the spark plug with a quality one.
Seems easy enough. Is the model above the one you're using? I've always wanted a generator. Just in case. I mean heck, 5 hours on one gallon of 2 stoke mix. Could power my whole tank with that thing for like $20 a 24/hr day in the event of power outtage.

save many hundreds over a brand new Honda Generator.
Yup, last Oct only avail was a 4000w Honda, payed top dollar! Traded it in for a Honda 6500w which runs the WHOLE house (oil burner, well, tank etc). Nice when power goes out to have porch lights on when neighborhood is pitch black! However paid thru the nose ( 6500w has never even been started).

Wow I didn't realize those Harbor Freight genny's were two strokers. Probably be a good idea to get the extended warranty if they offer it at a decent price.

They sell both 2 stroke and 4 stroke engine generators. The really cheap "portable" ones are the two strokes.

if you have the money by all means get a generac or honda. will last you the rest of your life and wont have to worry about it breaking when you need it. but if you are on a budget the harbor freight generators will do just fine for 3 or 4 years.

if you have the money by all means get a generac or honda. will last you the rest of your life and wont have to worry about it breaking when you need it. but if you are on a budget the harbor freight generators will do just fine for 3 or 4 years.

What he said. Lol.

But yeah my father in law has one of the 65000W Honda generators and that baby runs their whole house. Well not everything at once or you'll trip it, but last year during Irene they ran an entire room off it. The whole kitchen including fridge and electric stove (only used the top burners though) and a large TV, DVD player, lamps, and IIRC I think a space heater? Things a beast! Weird thing is, it's just as quiet (or loud depending if you're optimist or pesimist) as a 900w generator the neighbor had. IDK what brand he had.

just remember to run any generator (any small engines) you have like once a month. with the newer gas they will gum up fast. also use marine stable in the gas. that works the best for the newer fuels.

Hello harbor freight has a sale on them to 2/13/12.the prices are different from there web page to instore like this one is $129 on sale on there web page instore is $89.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/engine...s-900-max-watts-portable-generator-66619.html. i think that one should run up to a 100 gallon or so without mh lights hth don

Get a Champion at HD online. Free shipping and are much better than the harbor freight. Do a google search for that harbor freight generator. It has horrible reviews.

I started this thread a few weeks ago: http://www.bostonreefers.org/forums...we-have-another-storm-this-winter)&highlight=

you might be able to get some helpful info there.

Last edited:
Thanks man. Breaking Bad is unbelievable righr? Walt is in deep sh*t

No, Walt is in the Empire business...

One of the best show's on TV by far.

As for the Generators, I always siphon out the gas after use. Ditto the comments on stabilizer. I have not touched mine since the last storm I had to use it maybe a year ago. 2nd pull, fired right up. I have a Briggs & Stratton.

Back