Anyone Using Kangaroo 324 - Need Help

starrfish

Non-member
I'm using the Kangaroo 324 that I bought through the group buy to dose Kalk. It has been working GREAT - I love it. But I noticed the other day that it was leaking - the hose that you stretch around the knob grew weak - I think the salt water deteriorated it. I've only been using it for 3 weeks. Did I do something wrong to weaken it? The more important question is below:

I used Aquamend to adhere it to a Poland Springs 2 1/2 gallon jug. I'd like to make it part of my monthly maintenance to replace the pump set (they are cheap enough on ebay to replace them monthly). How can it I make it more "flexible" so it can be replaced often? I had to dig out the Aquamend from the hole in the poland springs spigot to replace it. Is there an easier way?

Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,
Daire

Nate - what kind of silicone? The stuff in the tubes that you pump out with one of those guns? Is it reef safe??

You can buy "aquarium silicon" in large painting style caulk tubes at some fish stores. You can get it at homedepot in foil tubes (think toothpaste) in the adhesive isle.

I laughed when I saw you used aquamend. Not ideal, eh!? :) (Its HARD)

The aquamend actually did its job - it was the tubing in the pump set that failed. But I need a more flexible solution that can easily be changed out. I think I have some of that aquarium silicon - is it used to repair the seals on glass tanks?

The clear GE "silicone I" caulk is reef safe. Just look at the back of the tubes at HD. One type of clear silicone says "not for aquariums". The other doesn't say that, and that's the one that folks have told me is ok to use on your reef.

Nate

Nate, I LOVE you! HAHA! That's the best news I"ve heard in a long time (and something I've wondered about a great deal...!!)

you can also get smaller tubes (no gun required) in the glue section of HD. Might be easier than trying to keep a gun tube from hardening up from month to month.

I think you can get different quality tubing.

This was copied from this site
http://reefdosingpumps.com/Pages/faq.html#3

"How long does the tubing last? Is it expensive?
The two-channel tubing will last about 6 months, naturally depending upon the dosiing rate. The high volume tubing should last indefinitely; at least 3 years. Replacement 2-channel tubing sells for $2/foot, and the high volume set is available complete for $15."

I'm gonna go buy a tube and use 1/2 of it, and cram a nail in the opening. IT works like a charm. These guns make sealing over-flows etc into a fish tank a piece of fish-cake. I had a hell of a time mounting my overflow in a 3 foot tank, and the four foot tank is gonna be that much worse...I'm totally buying the tube beeeyatch!

Back