Apex helped to avoid a major disaster!

sumant19

BRS Member
Bad things happen only when you are away.. Last week I was on vacation in LA and got an Apex alert that the temperature of the tank has gone below 75F. Apparently my Cobalt 300W heater failed on me. I still had 5 days to return back to Boston and the house temp was 60F.

Good thing is I also have internet connected thermostat. I increased the house temp to be at 73F consistently for 5 days (the tank always runs around 4F higher than the house temp).

Came back yesterday and everything was in a tip top shape!

I avoided getting an aquarium controller for long but this incidence proved its worth. Avoided a major economical and even more major emotional disaster.

Thats good to hear. Mine has saved me a couple times. I also keep a wyze cam on my tank when i am gone just to make sure.

I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I'd rather have the heater turn off than have it get stuck in the on position. You were very lucky!

I'm glad it worked out so well for you. I'd rather have the heater turn off than have it get stuck in the on position. You were very lucky!

yes... Cobalt is still under warranty so will continue pulling that thread with CobaltAquatics...but for the new one - I am going to try the new BRS titanium heater... arriving this Friday... in the mean time the heater in the house is going to run at 73... summer time.. wohooo!!!

Back