Apex or Apex Lite with AI Sol?

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
I'm doing a little research for some potential upcoming b-day presents that I prob won't be able to get anyways but who knows :p

I'm looking at getting an Apex and AI Sol set up and had a few questions. It seems that I'd need the VDM to get the full interface ablity of the AI's. If that's not the case and I could hook them up to the 0-10V ports let me know as that would solve the below problems but it doesn't appear to be the case.

My main question is the differences between the Apex and the Apex Lite? The regular Apex comes with the two extra Aquabus cables and it seems like four 0-10V ports that I wouldn't need (especially if I get the VDM that has 4)

Also what are the Aquabus cables? It seems like this is the biggest difference between the two packages. I know they're used to expand energybars but the 8 sockets would be more than enough for the forseable future. Are they needed to connect the energy bar to the base unit? I would guess not as they are not included in the Apex Lite package. Are they needed to connect the display module to the base unit? Again I'm guessing not because they're included in the Apex Lite package...

TIA...

The full Apex has an extra PH probe port, and the 0-10v ability. I don't know the price difference, but when I got mine it was almost $150. It ended up costing me more in the end. So I would get the full one, you might not think you need it, but I thought the same thing.

Thanks Derek. I got an email from Neptune and they said the only difference is what you said. I think the difference is about $80 both without ph probes. And if I get the AI Sol I'll need the VDM which will have the 0-10V which I prob won't need and won't need the extra ph/ORP probe for years to come...

Dave you can check with Reefkeeper2 for an exact explanation here. He is running a full Apex with 8 Ai Sol units on his tank. A good point of reference since he has exactly what you are looking at!

Well not really... He has like 300+ more gallons than I do :p

Hopefully I'll remember to bring this up after the Feb meeting in between drooling over his tank :rolleyes:

I have an Apex with (6)AI sols on my home tank, and a Apex Jr. with AI nano on my work tank. The Jr. is an amazing deal if only need the basics.

The display is pretty much useless as everything can be done through its web server. The newest beta firmware allows outlet programming from the Apex iOS app.

I've thought about getting a Jr but I'd need more than 4 outlets ideally. Does the Jr come with a temp probe?

On a side note for the AI Sol is it one cord or multiple cords for the white/blue/royal blue?

Also what kind of spread are people getting with this light? I have an 18"x20" footprint and the light would be about 9" above the water surface...

I've thought about getting a Jr but I'd need more than 4 outlets ideally. Does the Jr come with a temp probe?

On a side note for the AI Sol is it one cord or multiple cords for the white/blue/royal blue?

Yes, it comes with temp probe. There is only one cord, a standard audio cable.

My Elos mini is 17"x17" and I use an AI nano.

How far up do you have it above the water? I've been thinking of getting an AI nano as I only have an 18"x20" footprint and I can mount it 9" above the water. Stupid question but can the AI nano interface with the Apex's the same way as the Sol?

How far up do you have it above the water? I've been thinking of getting an AI nano as I only have an 18"x20" footprint and I can mount it 9" above the water. Stupid question but can the AI nano interface with the Apex's the same way as the Sol?

The arm of the Nano puts it ~4" from the bottom of the light to the top of the glass. The nano has a touch pad for manual adjustment(no timers), and also has a controller port like the Sol.

Thanks. I emailed a few sponsors and AI directly and AI and one sponsor said the nano would be fine that high up and one said to go for the whole Sol.

Just an FYI for whatever reason all my Acans morphed to the same orange color when using the AI units.

Judging by your avatar and acanaholic status I would be concerned and talk to AI specifically about it.

I'm not the only one to experience this. It was annoying to spend good money on some nice rainbows and a couple other colors just to have them morph all to the same color.

Thanks for the heads up. I've already lost the coloring in a few acans when I switched to my DIY LED lights but I'll have to take that into consideration...

Back