WTB Aptasia eating File Fish or Nudibranch

Kymot

BRS Member
Hi all, starting to have aptasia problem in my tank (Reefer 250). I bought 2 Berghia Nudibranch roughly 2-3 weeks ago, but i havent seen them ever since and not seeing the aptasia decreasing at all. Is this normal?
Trying to also see if anyone as Aptasia eating File Fish they’re trying to move. Thx

I did the same thing as you, got impatient with the nudis and got a filefish. Eventually the aptasia disappeared and the file fish got stuck to wet side of my mp-10. Lol aptasia are back and the bottle of elimi-aiptas made by tropic Marin sold at petco does not work. I’ve squirted the same three aptaisa at least 4x each and they keep coming back within a week… amazing to be honest

Hi all, starting to have aptasia problem in my tank (Reefer 250). I bought 2 Berghia Nudibranch roughly 2-3 weeks ago, but i havent seen them ever since and not seeing the aptasia decreasing at all. Is this normal?
Trying to also see if anyone as Aptasia eating File Fish they’re trying to move. Thx
Don’t feel bad, I bought 20 and they haven’t done a thing, It’s been almost 4 weeks

Never know for sure what they will do. They are directly from Biota and have been in our fish system. No aiptasia present to see if they would work on them

Do you have any shrimp eating fish in your tank? If not peppermint shrimp work great and are fairly cheap. I have had success with a CBB in my display and shrimp in my sump.

Do you have any shrimp eating fish in your tank? If not peppermint shrimp work great and are fairly cheap. I have had success with a CBB in my display and shrimp in my sump.
I've tried both the nudibranches and the peppermint shrimp and I think I have to vote for peppermints. The nudibranches are super cool and it's neat to have an animal that really ONLY eats aiptasia...until the population has expanded and you either have to quickly sell them, or somehow find a bunch of aiptasia to keep the colony going. It is much harder than you would think to find as much aiptasia as it takes to sustain even a small colony.

On the flip side, now that ORA breeds the right species is of peppermint shrimp, you can be 100% sure you're getting the one (or so) species of the six (or so) highly similar species of peppermint shrimp that actually eats aiptasia with gusto.

also, its takes time for the nudies to eat through the bigger aptasia. I added 7 last week and only see 2 aps gone but the nudies are in there around the pests so...I have faith as ive seen it before. People are right tho, eventually they will run out of food and need to be scooped out and either sold off or given to someone who has aptasia (which isnt too hard in this hobby).

I will never put another peppermint shrimp in any of my tanks all they’ve done in the end of the day is go rogue and eat corals. I’ve never seen them eat any aiptasia or noticed a decline in any aiptasia after adding them.

Filefish worked until it ate the majority of the aiptasia, and then didn’t care what it picked on so it started eating my zoas.

Chemicals made them multiply extremely quick.

Berghia nudibranchs for the win!

also, its takes time for the nudies to eat through the bigger aptasia. I added 7 last week and only see 2 aps gone but the nudies are in there around the pests so...I have faith as ive seen it before. People are right tho, eventually they will run out of food and need to be scooped out and either sold off or given to someone who has aptasia (which isnt too hard in this hobby).
My experience has been that once the first generation of babies are hatched and grown, they can really get the problem under control quite well. I've worried that they would be hunted by wrasses that are in many tanks though.

I don’t, only purple tang, clown, mandarin anthias, and cardinal. Worried that CBB would be too small of a tank for it

I finally saw one of the berghia last night but seem to just be sleepin . I havent seen it working yet, maybe i need more, the aptasia is geowing fast now

I've tried both the nudibranches and the peppermint shrimp and I think I have to vote for peppermints. The nudibranches are super cool and it's neat to have an animal that really ONLY eats aiptasia...until the population has expanded and you either have to quickly sell them, or somehow find a bunch of aiptasia to keep the colony going. It is much harder than you would think to find as much aiptasia as it takes to sustain even a small colony.

On the flip side, now that ORA breeds the right species is of peppermint shrimp, you can be 100% sure you're getting the one (or so) species of the six (or so) highly similar species of peppermint shrimp that actually eats aiptasia with gusto.
I have some aptasia in the sump too, maybe i can try pepermint in the sump and see how it goes? Definitely worried about it eating my acans

Back