Asbestos removal and a reef tank?

nichols

Non-member
I'm having the asbestos removed from the heating pipes in my basement next week. One of the pipes runs over a 55 gal fuge, a 30 gal fuge and a 150 gal sump. The contractor doing the work doesn't want any responsibility for the fish tank. Can't really say I blame him.
I'm thinking of shutting down the return pump from the basement to isolate the display upstairs. I can leave the closed loop running on the display. I don't really see any issues with the display.
I need to completely seal up the 40 gal frag tank, 30 and 55 gal fuges and and the 150 gal sump. I'm thinking of taping plastic over them. Don't know how else to protect them. How long can I keep them covered before I start having issues? Not sure if I can supply air from outside the house.
Anybody done this before?

never done it... but i think they'd be ok for a while. I'd stick an airstone or 2 in all of the closed containers.. as well as powerheads if you can...

how long are we talking here.. a day? a few hours?

asbestos

IMO asbestos is only a problem if it can become airborne. The contractor isn't going to let that happen because the clean up would more be difficult. Chances are if you cover the fuge and sump and leave it running nothing adverse will happen. I'd worry more about someone knocking out a plug to a pump or light or dropping something into the water.

IMO asbestos is only a problem if it can become airborne. The contractor isn't going to let that happen because the clean up would more be difficult. Chances are if you cover the fuge and sump and leave it running nothing adverse will happen. I'd worry more about someone knocking out a plug to a pump or light or dropping something into the water.

Agree, i think you will be fine Bill.

I also agree it's not really a problem unless they mess up and it get airborne... I'd say covering it up and a PH/airstones would be fine...

I may be in the same boat as you in the future. I've got asbestos throughout my basement and covering my boiler. I'd be more concerned with the clean-up of the area after the job is done than getting it in the water. Are you having an independent inspector give a once over after the clean-up?

I also agree it's not really a problem unless they mess up and it get airborne... I'd say covering it up and a PH/airstones would be fine...
i don't think i'd use a airstone unless the pump is outside. just in case it sucks some up IMO

^ yea i was just gonna say the same thing air pump gets its air from where the pump is located would kind of defeat the purpose of covering them. just cover in plastic and tape the tanks should be fine

i don't think i'd use a airstone unless the pump is outside. just in case it sucks some up IMO

+1 on both counts.

I had it removed from my house, and I can see him not wanting to be respon. for any damage to the tank. As far as it getting in the water, if your worried about that I would hire another contractor, because if its getting in your water, then its getting in your house. They told me that it can stay airborn for up to 3 days, I would be more worried about my lungs.
derek

^ yea i was just gonna say the same thing air pump gets its air from where the pump is located would kind of defeat the purpose of covering them. just cover in plastic and tape the tanks should be fine

Didn't even think of that :eek:

Back