ASM G4 protein skimmer: 2 questions

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Just fired up my ASM G4. It works like a champ, already collecting skimmate.
I bought it from New England Reef, so very long ago.
astrosmiley.gif

Finally working the thing brings me 2 questions.

1) The skimmer comes with a foam sleeve on the exhaust pipe. The water flows up the pipe and dumps down thru the foam sleeve, then into the sump. WHat's the purpose of the foam sleeve?

2) How does one empty the collection cup. Seems like I have to take the whole skimmer out to empty the big ol' cup. It doesn't have a junction I'm missing, does it?

Thanks.

Moe, the collection cup screws off of the skimmer body. We did this when looking at your skimmer although it was difficult to get it off. I would do the mod with the gate valve, it will reduce noise which doesn't matter in your case but will also decrease any bubbles that would be caused by the cascading water. I'm not sure what purpose the foam is suppose to serve.

I am not sure of the real purpous of the foam but it helps with the splashing sound a little and traps larger junk that makes it out the tube. you should pick up a gate valve for it, cuts the noise down alot and makes it easier to adjust.

As for the collection cup, it should twist a little and lift up. It locks into place unless that one is different from all the others

foam is meant to separate the bubbles from the water, it traps air and forces it to rise up and out of the foam - my opinion is to scrap it and do the gate valve mod, your baffles should take care of any bubbles, and the gate valve mod lets you really dial it in!

also i did the recirc mod to my g3, it skims a ton more gross stuff than before, and it took maybe 30 minutes.

if you don't want to keep taking off the cup, just drill a hole and put in a drain.

asm's are some sweet machines!

G4 Plus has a Sedra 9000 pump the G4 has a Sedra 5000 pump.
Either way it will do a great job on your set up. The mods will make a difference but right now you don't really have much of a bio-load.

The 5000 came with it.
I happened to buy a Sedra 9000 a couple of years before I bought the G4, though. It's just sitting in the box on the shelf.

I would switch them if it will fit. See if the venture will work in the 9000.
If not you should be able to get the venture from asmskimmer.com

I have the G4 plus which I got on the same order as yours. I love it.

Yeah, the Venturi on the intake works.
Problem is the elbow to the skimmer. The exhaust port on the 9000 is really small/narrow.

Had to empty the skimmer tonight for the first time. It's been collecting a think orange sludge. Oooooh, the stench!
smilie_barf.gif

Yeah, the Venturi on the intake works.
Problem is the elbow to the skimmer. The exhaust port on the 9000 is really small/narrow.

Can you wrap the neck with Teflon tape to build up the outside diameter?

For the stench put a teaspoon of kalk in the cup after you empty it

FWIW, i used to to this till the kalk etched my collection cup so much i couldn't see into the cup anymore.

Hmm did not know that would happen. I did it once in a while when I thought of it.
My cup is still clear but I only did it a few times.

Back