ATO, yes or no?

Bagdis831

Non-member
So I am getting really tired of carrying buckets of water up from my basement (been doing this for three years) and I am just wondering what everyone thinks about ATO's, are they worth the investment? Also what brand does everyone recommend I am looking to spend around $100. Final question what does everyone prefer as a switch (floats, electrodes, optics). I just want to make sure that I'm not buying something that I will need to replace in a month and I really don't want something that is going to stick and ruin my hardwood floors. Open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

I don't know how I lived without one to be honest. For 5 years I manually topped off my tank every night. Purchased a Tunze 3155, now all I have to do is make sure my water reservoir has water in it.

Agreed. My Tunze ATO was one of the best "investments" I've made in my fishtanks. It basically halves the amount of daily maintenance for the tank (assuming it is just feeding and top off). The only suggestion is to make sure you don't siphon fluid back when the ATO turns off. This can be solved by a check valve and/or making sure the ATO output is a couple inches above the expected water line.

Joe

I have a tunze ato with optical eye, really sturdy little ATO. Since you have a reef keeper you can do something similar to what I did: take a float switch hook it to your RK using whatever attachment (I have an apex and don't know for me its the breakout box) and then attach your float switch to your resivior and have your RK email/text you when it is turned on so you know when to refill it

Ato is a must! Once you have one you will kick yourself for not have had one the entire time

I would honestly say it is one of the best things I have purchased thus far. Imo it is a necessity in a reef tank, not only for stability but for utter convenience. Water is going to evaporate there is no question about that. There is an invention to compensate for it at cheap money use it! You will thank yourself every day and will never top off manually again ever. It will now always be on your checklist when setting up a new tank. Lol.

Fwiw I have been using the jbj ato for the past 3 years without an issue.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

I finally got one for my new build (Tunze) one of the biggest advantages I find is keeping the sump level consistent for my new skimmer it is VERY VERY fussy about its water depth.

Jim

Unless you plumb into your waterline, you still have to top off, but it's usually a big container. I wouldn't go too big in case of an accident(which probably will happen). Jbj ATO not bad, use float sensors, but put something around the one in the tank so a critter won't set it off...use a ball or check valve to ensure no back flow and a maxi jet or something in your water container. If you aren't dosing kalk, you can mix some in there for your reef...

I have used almost all ATO on the market.
My first pick is Tunze ATO
Pro:
Accurate Optical sensor.
Con:
Use their own pump which is expensive.
OMG tons of wires, messy

2nd pick is Hydor Smart ATO
Pro:easy to setup, use electronic sensor, can use any pump you have
Con: Sensor is less sensitive than Tunze

I will NOT use any float switch based ATO, they fail too often.

Unless you have a FOWLR tank, having the stable salinity that an ATO delivers is essential for supporting corals and invertebrates. Daily salinity swings are a big stress depending on how much you evaporate.

In terms of importance for coral, you have to have stable: temperature, salinity, and then alk/calc/mg.

You may get away with manual dosing if your coral load is low relative to your water volume, but most folks don't get stability of salinity without an ATO.

We bought a large 15 gallon ATO reservoir for our 90 gallon tank and it's been some of the best money I ever spent. Now I only top up the ATO reservoir every two weeks when I do a water change.

Once upon a time I used a float switch based ATO, and a fish in the sump played with it. Out it went and replaced with a Tunze.

I have a JBJ ATO. They now have surrounds, covering the Floats. Accurate and inexpensive. 2 ways of setting up
Mode 1. I float sensor in sump.
Mode 2 Float sensor also in freshwater Reservoir, audible alarm if Container falls below your set point. So your ATO pump will not run dry.

Easy answer, yes.

More specifically, I have a Smart ATO and it is the bees knees. I'll never go without one.

I use a two part system I use a peristaltic pump to fill my top off bucket with about a gallon over my daily evap. Then let the tunze ATO take care of it from there.

Alright so I am torn between the Tunze Osmolator and the JBJ ATO. I have more pumps lying around than I know what to do with so I do not care about needing a pump for the JBJ. I just wanted to hear if anyone has had issues with either the JBJ or the Tunze. I know that the floats can stick over time on the JBJ, but is the Tunze really worth the additional $100? I just want to hear what people think before spending the money.

Also I have a question on the top off container its self. I am limited on what I can use for a container because I did not plan on having a reservoir when I pump my sump in my stand. Do you think that I could get away with a kitchen trash bin as my reservoir. I am pretty sure that I will be able to fit the trash can behind my stand and that will keep my Fiance happy (which we all know if the reason I'm getting the ATO "Shes tired of the orange home depot buckets").

Thanks for the feedback!!

Greg

Yes the tunze is worth the additional $

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 2nd that Tunze is worth the additional price in comparison, but if you are looking for a cheaper option, the Smart ATO is cheaper and I personally think the optical setup is more precise.
I run it on my 48g with no issues at all, and never had issues with it on my 16g. I bought it at least 2 years ago (whenever it first came out) for IIRC $150.

They have a Micro version around your $100 price range (it is $125) also that is crazy small but IDK if the pump would also be smaller. Says suitable for pico/nano.

You can attach your own pumps anyways so long as they have AC connectors of the same power requirements,
but if your reservoir is in your sump and you refill your sump area then there should be virtually no head pressure anyways.

Last edited:
Back