AWC vs semi-AWC

coralfishreef

BRS Member
I still do water changes in a very manual fashion - siphon out, pump back in, lug buckets around. I’ve been looking at using 2 Versas for AWC but they aren’t in stock anywhere and haven’t been in stock anywhere for some time. The other half has put demands down to either buy an AWC system or figure something better out.

I’m now looking into using a Neptune DOS or a Genesis Renew. The Genesis is pretty much out due to price and no great place to put the 2 gravity containers.

My main display is on the other side of my bedroom. I’ve read the DOS is extremely loud and for my main tank it would need to run for at least 2 hours a day. Is it so loud that it would wake someone up?

Is anyone using the Neptune DOS and happy with it? Or is maintaining and worrying about the DOS just a headache? The reviews for the DOS aren’t great. Alternatively I could just push old water up out of the sump with a pump (and air break) and push fresh water up from the basement using another pump once a week in a semi-automatic way with a spare Apex Jr that I have.

How do you do water changes and are you happy with how you do them?

Thanks in advance

Is it so loud that it would wake someone up?
Yes, it is really loud humming noise. I have my DOS in the basement fish room running water one floor up to my living room tank. And when it starts I can hear it in my living room. Agreed that noise insulation is not great in my walls.
You could run that during hours when you are usually not at home/ during day time.

Is anyone using the Neptune DOS and happy with it? Or is maintaining and worrying about the DOS just a headache?
I absolutely love it. Wouldn't setup a tank without AWC. It is so good to have the water mixed and stored and it does its thing. No more lugging around buckets or hose. I have setup the DOS to change about 15 liters (yes, it is configured in ml) everyday. I calibrate both the lines once every 3 or 4 months. Haven't had any any major challenges. It has been running for little over an year.

Yes, it is really loud humming noise. I have my DOS in the basement fish room running water one floor up to my living room tank. And when it starts I can hear it in my living room. Agreed that noise insulation is not great in my walls.
You could run that during hours when you are usually not at home/ during day time.

I absolutely love it. Wouldn't setup a tank without AWC. It is so good to have the water mixed and stored and it does its thing. No more lugging around buckets or hose. I have setup the DOS to change about 15 liters (yes, it is configured in ml) everyday. I calibrate both the lines once every 3 or 4 months. Haven't had any any major challenges. It has been running for little over an year.
Do you have any protection against siphoning or is your sump in the basement?

Do you have any protection against siphoning or is your sump in the basement?
Nothing specific to tackle siphoning issues. The water removal line is just below the water level in the sump, and I have my apex to shut off dos and ato if the salinity goes below 33.5 and that will tackle if the water were to siphon back and the ato starts pumping fresh water into the system.

Last edited:
Back