Azure Damselfish

sumant19

BRS Member
Hi

I have started a 34 gallon reef aquarium. Over the course of 2 months I added cleanup crew (all snails - turbo, cerith and margarita), 2 cleaner shrimps. A pair of clownfish is the recent addition to this setup.

I want to ask if anyone has any good/bad experience with Azure Damselfish. I am planning to keep only 1 considering my aquarium size. Do they go well with clownfish and shrimps?

Thanks in advance!

Avoid it. You may want to do nicer fish down the line and with a tank that size the damsel will take over and attack, and will be impossible to get out of your tank. They are aggressive fish and damsels IMPO should be avoided at all costs.

John

I have 3 blue damsels in my 36gal tank.
I agree they are aggressive but there are other fish that can be worse.
Check out my video on my profile to see them in action.
I have also a bicolour psudeochromis, a green chromis, a yellow coris wrasse and a black foot clown.
I'd say they are all about the same size so the damsels are not that threatening.
I'm perfectly happy with these and they certainley bring in some color, thus my other choices are also bright.
I am sure that's why your contemplating this fish due to the color and price, just don't get too many.

Wasn't there another thread on this same Damesel? :D

I've had an Azure Damsel in my main display for 5 years. Not aggressive at all. Perfect gentleman all the time.

Pic:

n1067411225_194682_5990.jpg

I've had very good luck with this fish. They are territorial, but they remain pretty small, larger fish might just ignore them. They are very hardy and seem to be reasonably long lived. I just ordered another two for a friends tank yesterday. They really are a beautiful fish, the blue is amazing, and they are extremely active.

I have to totally agree with Greg on this one. They are a very beautiful fish and not expensive at all!

Again mine has been with me 5 years and he's a model citizen. Bother no one.

I think all damsels get a bad rep based on a few rogue fish. I've had dominos, zebras, blues, and have a yellowtail now in my 30g with a pair of occelasris, they have all been excellent fish when kept properly. They get territorial especial the domino but he was as big (if not bigger) than the huge one they had a Skiptons. I had him in a 140 with a few other fish so he was fine. The Azure is one of the smaller less aggressive species, very similar to my yellowtail, but in your size tank you're going to be close to max fish with the clowns in there too. They are a very nice looking fish, quite inexpensive, very active, and will get along with your clowns well. If you plan on not adding too much more for fish and being happy with him long term, then go for it.

Thanks guys! I am looking to add only couple more fish in my 34 gallon aquarium (which currently has 2 clowns)... Just trying to add little more color..

How about chormies? Would a pair of green chromies go along with a pair of clowns? I read they are schooling fish... but also read somewhere that they get real aggressive once they grow full size...

I started with a pair and now only one survived and has been with me for 2 plus years.
I think I read somewhere that they usually end up alone, maybe I'm wrong but I never saw any more than 1 at a time unless I was at a lfs.
What about a yellow coris wrasse, nice submissive fish, not aggressive I should say
sleeps in the sandbed I believe and can hold it's own
I've seen him stand up to my bi-color psudeochromis when he didn't like the bullying
(not my photo but same fish)
attachment.php

and the bicolor psudeochromis (again not my photo)
attachment.php

Possible hijack--- I have always like the color of damsels (especially the and how active they are around the tank. I was planning on putting 1 or 2 in my fuge I want to make it semi display, but still hidden away in the stand. Maybe the OP would want to do that if he has a fuge? Would their be any reason to not put them in the fuge other than a slight increase in bioload?

Back