baby shrimp in the sump?

mhe

Non-member
Hey,

My sump's got lots of critters/pods, but recently I've noticed somethings that look like tiny shrimp (maybe 1/8" - 1/4" long) - translucent, moving all over the place, etc.

Is it possible that they're baby shrimp - can shrimp hatch and grow without targeted care?

- Michael

I have a lot of mysid in my fuge, they are in all of the rock rubble and running around the sand they are very small to small in size.

they have a black "stripe" like down their back, where I would picture a spine to be, otherwise totally transparent.

I also have something in the chaeto it self that are clear and I believe are ampipods some of them are quite large and very easily seen by your eyes.

bonnie

Do they look like this:

babypeps.jpg

or upon closer inspection...this:

babypepclose.jpg

Those are baby peppermint shrimp, but the skunk cleaners look the same.

Otherwise, if they tool around, like a little roller coaster gone wild, non-stop, they are probably mysid or "opposum shrimp"

dave

Dave,

Are you propogating your own peppermint shrimp? I notice they are out and about with the lights on, so I assume you must have them in their own grow out tank. Mine never last long enough for the lights to come on. I guess they taste too good! :rolleyes:

:) Evil mutha that I am....

Yeah.. I propagate them.. some grow for as long as a day.. others for as long as a couple weeks. It depends on the size of the seahorses that I'm feeding them to :)

Bonnie...if they don't look like that...they are probably mysids. Do they look like this:

mysis1.jpg

Dave

They live in a greenwater soup...until I use them. It's phyto, rotifers and sometimes, when I feed the seahorse fry, oyster eggs.

I've never tried raising them. I have a hard enough time with all that micro-culturing for baby seahorses. I breathe a sigh of relief when I can go right to gut packed BBS. The shrimp take longer to move on from there. I have no patience for them :)

D

Back